I f*** up and I am ashamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might not have been clear enough. What I meant is that everyone knows that 1) Air flows up, 2) We have 4 ways to deflate the BCD. However, some people imply that even using LPI button, LPI hose extension or the two valves, you might still have air in the BCD. How can you make sure that you don't? That was my question.
It should have been covered in your basic trading. Once under the water position yourself so one of the exhaust values is uppermost and dump any remaining air. You can do the same when you get to your stop depth. Simple.

I have many PADI paper manuals and review a page or two from one daily, then I rotate to a different manual when through one. I read a page or two from one of my ERF manuals daily. Not relevant, but I do an air table problem one day, a nitrox table one the next. All of this takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on what I'm watching on T.V. Of course that's all very easy being retired.
I did all my bookwork online kind of sucks that I don’t have any manuals.

Thank you for your reply :)

I checked PADI standards, from an OLD manual. I did it quickly, but hopefully got the main point, and it seems to me that one has to do:
- 5 workshops (that is, 5 dives)
- skills assessments, that may take just few dives
- 4 practical assessments (that is, 4 dives)
There are depth specifications only for ew dives, so it seems that is absolutely possible to do this course in 1 week according to this standards. However, not being a PADI pro myself, I cannot guarantee that I interpretated correctly the manual. Maybe some PADI instructors could clarify this point?

By the way, there are instructors who do NOT respect standards for their courses, irrispectively fom the agencies. The last tragic case is the death of the girl in the dry-suit accident, but there are other cases in cave, with CCR, and so on. Therefore, I wouldn't be too surprised to hear another case like that now.

@Dody, may I ask you from which agency you got the DM certification? Also, do you have the manual to verify the minimum requirement for the course?
I got certified by SSI. After checking with my Dive shop, I paid 3 weeks for Rescue and DM incuded. I thought that Rescue was 2 weeks and DM one week but it was embedded. And I dived several times every week. So I will not throw them under the bus. I am satisfied even if I am not perfect.

@Dody if you're ever in Suwannee County, Florida let's go for a dive and work out this buoyancy stuff. Bring your wife.
Be careful what you say. I might come earlier than you think :)

Am I reading this correctly? You don’t think an uncontrolled ascent is a problem? Did you miss this part in OW?
You should have read the entire thread. We were talking of perfectly being in control, at constant depth and suddenly going into uncontrolled ascent .

It should have been covered in your basic trading. Once under the water position yourself so one of the exhaust values is uppermost and dump any remaining air. You can do the same when you get to your stop depth. Simple.
It was covered!!!! And I know it!!!! But some people say (they might be mistken but I tend to trust them) that some air may still remain in the BCD even if you do everything by the book. Depending on your BCD type or whatever.

It was covered!!!! And I know it!!!! But some people say (they might be mistaken but I tend to trust them) that some air may still remain in the BCD even if you do everything by the book. Depending on your BCD type or whatever.

You should have read the entire thread.
One of the most predictable features of a ScubaBoard thread will be that after a few pages, someone will come in, read a post, and react to it without reading any of the other posts that were written after that to see if the matter was already handled or if they misunderstood something that was better explained later. The longer the thread, the more this happens.

It gets really annoying with some issue is raised and then, over several pages, it gets fully explored and a definite consensus is reached. That is because for the next few pages, the people who did not bother to read those pages will, with a confidence bordering on arrogance, state an opinion which has already been proving without question to be wrong. You really want to scream on those occasions.

It was covered!!!! And I know it!!!! But some people say (they might be mistken but I tend to trust them) that some air may still remain in the BCD even if you do everything by the book. Depending on your BCD type or whatever.
It doesn’t really matter if you don’t vent all the air at the beginning of a dive, you’re overall mass will be enough to let you get to the operating depth. On the way back up decide which dump valve you’re going to use and position yourself accordingly. I rarely use the hose to dump, it’s normally the shoulder dump (that’s when I’m diving in a wetsuit).

I will rephrase what I wrote earlier. Even if you understand the concept fully, it can be very hard for even a highly experienced diver to get a small bubble of air to an exit point. It can be hard to tell where that bubble is and what kind of gymnastics maneuver you need to make to get it out.

Take a look at my picture on the left. I was diving in a cave with a double set of aluminum 80 tanks. The wing I was using was a bit too big for those tanks. As you can see, the sides of the wing are up by the backs of the tanks. That is where the air is. Think about what it would take for me to get it out if I needed to. That is why on the dives after that picture was taken, I switched to a smaller wing.

It is also why I prefer to dive a few pounds overweighted. It is much easier to get rid of a shot of air if the bubble is a bit bigger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom