I failed the pool test!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I go back to work for the weekend tomorrow, I'll run the Canadian Model (the Cold Exposure Survival Model, colloquially known as the Canadian Model - gives you estimated functional and survival times based on height, weight, clothing, air temp, sea temp, immersion, asll that stuff. It's a search planning tool, haven't used it in a couple years, but think I can still find it).

I agree that 53 degree water sucks. Sucks a lot. Some of my friends and I would go swimming in those temps just to see who'd quit first, which is probably the most reliable indication it's a bad idea. I can do a full steel 100 @ 3200psi or so in 47 degree water in a 7mm two piece, and I'm fine - until I get out of the water - then it SUCKS. I work out on boats in the New England winter in any weather for a living, consider myself fairly used to it, and still wouldn't intentionally (without my arrogant ego at stake) swim laps in 53 degree water - and then stand out in air at least that cold!

Hell with that.

Also, have to figure out what to do with the written tests we already completed; do we have to purchase another set of books and re-do it all...? Or can we get our folder back that has all the completed tests? Or will the instructor even give them back...let alone a full refund?

_IF_ he's doing it the PADI way (and that's a big if given the bs he's pulled thus far!) then you should be able to take your class folder that has his instructor information for all completed modules so far and simply move to the next instructor without a problem. You won't need a new book.

As for getting the money back . . . again, it really is going to depend on him.

Given his horrific lapse of judgement, he should give you a full refund with no questions asked. But that would require him to recognize what an incredible idiot he was. Incredible idiots rarely do that.

Again, please, please, please, please, please report him to his agency. This guy is trying to kill people, and his agency needs to know that!

Glad to see that your going to continue your instruction with someone else.
And please report this instructor to the agency, he is not an instructor that should be responsible for anyones safety
Diving is fun ... even in 52* water with the right protection

My OW cert dives were done after a 2 hour boat trip across the open ocean in thailand in 4m swell.

53F is pretty cold but I would argue that you should be able to handle that water temp and be able to perform skills in that sort of temp. Sounds like 53F may be more or less normal for your part of the world. So if I am the instructor and I see you struggling in that kind of water, I would also fail you because I will not have complete confidence that if I cert you and you are out there diving in 53F water by yourself you will be able to perform adequately.
Most absurd thing I've heard in this thread, or just anywhere (besides the OP's instructors actions)

Was this a PADI Instructor? Oh well, I suppose that doesn't matter... it was a bad Instructor. I'd suggest finding a new Instructor. Once you find a good Instructor, you will forever enjoy the adventure!

By no means are we a scuba shop or anything of the likes. My boss goes diving a lot (20+ years) and has some spare equipment he uses. He was just offering it to us to use.

It is not required at work to be SCUBA certified. It is something that work provides to its employees; all 6-7 of us. The reason they do that is because we make underwater products and it will give us a better relation to how the product works, etc etc. And it will allow us to equally test said products. They do not (well not sure yet) give everyone their own equipment set...

??? This, together with all your other posts defending boss, class, etc. (everything except cold pool, apparently) certainly leads to an overall impression...

... damning with faint praise.

I would now have serious doubts about using the products your boss produces. I'm also hoping the "products" are not life support type equipment.

Your boss needs to do his homework before sending his employees to such dubious quality instruction. Or maybe it's his odd way of giving a "pink slip"? :D

-S

The instructor I had would have the student just attend the next pool session. Some people just need more time than others. Although I understand that your situation is not related to skill or ability.

Why I still think you should report this "instructor" to PADI. In water that is 53* without exposure protection, a person might not even remain conscious for an hour, after that all bets are off. The'll be dead in around 3-6 hours, if not sooner.

Maybe this instructor is counting on Cold Water Drowning to bail him out when one of his students inevitably runs into problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom