I Got A New Flip Video HD Cam & Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a new Flip HD 120 minute video camera and an Ikelite housing for it... something new to play with this fall...

Obviously, I don't expect pro results out of it, but so far I have been impressed by the quality of the video.

I haven't bought a light for it yet, but I am going to... I am saving up the cash to buy a good light that I can use moving forward on a higher end setup, so for right now it is just the camera and no light. I did pick up a green water filter (the case comes with a blue water filter included).

Here are some first impressions.

The camera is tiny, which is both good and bad. The whole rig is less than the size of a mask, and fits easily into a utility pocket or drysuit pocket.

Since the camera is tiny, it is very hard to hold stable... not bad when panning, but really tricky if you are hovering. I expect this to change when I mount a light.

Ikelite says this thing is neutrally buoyant in salt water.... well, since it floats BIG TIME in fresh water, I think they are smoking dope. I am going to have to weight it.

A fully charged battery lasts about and hour or so.

The lens does not focus very closely, and has a rather narrow field of view. Accessory lenses? We will see.

Here is a quicky first vid shot in a fresh water quarry. The vid isn't very good and barely edited at all, but you can at least get an idea of what the camera can do.

Where'd the video go? I'm about to pick up my housing for the Flip but am interested in seeing this video. It'll be a while before I get the housing and camera paired up.

Let us know if you need help with your video light setup :) We have some really good combo packages for compact housings.

Booooo for private video :)

I want to see this; I'm slowly collecting what I need for this, just need the port adapter and housing now. If the output looks good, I expect to make the jump soon.

Also, please keep us updated with your impressions. Holding the Flip steady on land is difficult, the one thing my Sony digicam has is OIS, and I always took it for granted until trying to shoot with the Flip.

I should be taking my Flip & Ikelite housing with Pro-V8 lighting down tomorrow or Sunday. I've never shot video before so I'm not sure I'll be able to make any critical analysis or comparisons, but I'll post the videos somewhere.

@Nocturnal Lights: do you have something that would specifically work with the flip?

I got a new Flip HD 120 minute video camera and an Ikelite housing for it... something new to play with this fall...

The vid isn't very good and barely edited at all, but you can at least get an idea of what the camera can do.

What's the purpose of a Youtube private video, or by posting on a public forum (SB) where nobody can see the thing?

X

Do you know if the threads on the side of hte housing is a 1/4 20 screw?

Are you looking for a single or dual video light setup?

Here are some combos that we offer for compact housings. We can easily find the mount you see here:

Blog - New! Ikelite Flip Ultra & Ultra HD Video Cameras - Underwater Photo and Video

and mount the camera on our tray using the L bracket. Otherwise we can just use the L Bracket and mount a single video light on there.

Another option is to just mount a shorter tray (we have a 7" tray not shown on our website) and from there you can run a 7" arm or 12" arm from the side.

You can see all of our video light and some of the more popular combos for the compact housings here: Nocturnal Lights Underwater Video Lights

The video posted is not bad at all, but the lack of lighting makes everything look lifeless without the colors.

@Nocturnal: I don't know what size screw it is. I noticed your phone number is area code 949 (Irvine?). I work near the airport. Perhaps I could swing by and bring the unit in and see what my options are?

Booooo for private video :)

I want to see this; I'm slowly collecting what I need for this, just need the port adapter and housing now. If the output looks good, I expect to make the jump soon.

Also, please keep us updated with your impressions. Holding the Flip steady on land is difficult, the one thing my Sony digicam has is OIS, and I always took it for granted until trying to shoot with the Flip.

What's OIS?

Back
Top Bottom