I got bent and went to the chamber, but was I really bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Like I look at everyones profile.
If it looks like a horse and sounds like a horse it's prolly a horse, but every once in a while it's a zebra. My point being it was a consideration. There are a lot of out of shape divers out there who go on vacation and over do everything. I rule out the most serious stuff first then move on.
Horses, zebra, donkeys, mules, and there's even a variation of the mule.

I don't usually look at profile, but when it's something as serious as her story, and before suggesting a very serious possibility like you did - I do.

I lack the medical training you have, but I still like to look for all facts currently available.

Diver0001:
Aside from the issue at hand I'd like to compliment you on this post. It's well writen, engaging and hilarious ..... and to that end I just have to have a poke at it..... (I hope you take this in the spirit in which it was intended) :eyebrow:

ROFLMAO!!! That was outstanding, sir, just outstanding!!! :eyebrow:

Unfortunately, I was drinking a glass of milk as I was reading, and now have to dry out the keyboard!!! :11:

Cheers!

Wildcard:
I though you would know better.
Wildcard:
Like I look at everyones profile.
If it looks like a horse and sounds like a horse it's prolly a horse, but every once in a while it's a zebra. My point being it was a consideration. There are a lot of out of shape divers out there who go on vacation and over do everything. I rule out the most serious stuff first then move on.
I've been a patient.
I don't like unnecessary tests.
I'm also not the brightest bulb in the fixture.
So I tend to dig a little more before I just throw the standing orders at someone and hope the right treatment pops up.
That said, I tend to put the monitor on more patients than many of my co-workers. But I also do fewer 12-leads than most of them :wink:

BigJetDriver69:
Not only have you folks hijacked this thread, but y'all are gettin' way outta control....!!!! :eyebrow:
He started it...

http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/mule.html
Under conditions of domestication it is possible to obtain hybrids between equid species. There are records of onager/***, onager/horse and zebra/horse (zebroids) crosses, but the cross that has been most significant in human history is one between horses and donkeys. Breeding a male donkey to a female horse results in a mule; breeding a male horse to a female donkey produces a hinny.

Offspring from either cross, although fully developed as males or females, are almost always sterile. Hence, a line of horses and a line of domestic asses must be maintained to perpetuate mule or hinny production.

http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/343.htm
"Onager" is an ancient Greek word for "***," which possibly dates back to the Sumerians' word "ansu." It is possible these words are also related to "agri," which gives us our farm words such as "agriculture" and "acre," and would tend to show that the *** was the earliest domesticated farm animal.

And SB filters are well at work! :laughing:

I tell ya, you never know what you are going to learn on this board.

Interesting that the filters will let you say "asses" but not "***"....!!!!!!!!! :11:

Luvspoodles -

The ear popping could DEFINITELY have caused the dizziness. Happens to me all the time, especially when I have a cold, blow my nose, and inadvertently ValSalva - makes me a bit wobbly for a few seconds. Doesn't usually last very long, though.

Certainly don't give up diving...
Stuff happens. Recognizing where something went wrong and taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again is part of building self confidence. Thanksgiving weekend, I got the unique opportunity of not paying enough attention to changing conditions while submerged, ascended in a (long) surf zone accidentally and promptly experienced what it was like to get thrown on rocks and pounded into them by waves until your buddy rescues you. I screwed up, learned some lessons, and got lucky. No chamber ride in the world cures a broken neck. But I'll still dive. Next weekend, to be exact.

Onto your issues, I'm not a doctor, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I've done various things related to diving that have caused muscle aches. Determining whether something is worrisome is a judgment call, and it's best to err on the side of caution, as has been pointed out.

Now my ears pose a problem for me, not really with diving, but with being extraordinarily sensitive to equilibrium. As a result, when anything goes wrong with my ears, or if my equilibrium is screwed up, say by being on a boat, I am instantly miserable. Pressure changes seem to be absolutely fine so long as they are bilateral.

I haven't had dive-related barotrauma, but I have had an untreated ear infection. I realized it when I was watching Dark City in the theater, tried to run to the bathroom to throw up, and literally could not walk in a straight line. My head was spinning, I was listing badly to one side and I felt like I was going to pass out. I also know that the pain in my ear and head and the nausea the feeling was inducing was sufficient that if I'd had a gunshot wound to the leg, I wouldn't have felt it.

It sounds like you had some really hideous stuff going on with your ear. With a slightly iffy dive profile, again, caution is best, but from personal experience, I can tell you that nasty ear problems can cause a real downward spiral. If the pain had subsided or disappeared (and the sudden popping could easily cause an equilibrium shift), it might have made you more aware of a pain in your arm.

Relax. People screw up and accidents happen. If you quit or beat yourself over something, what have you accomplished? If you learn from things that happen and use the gained knowledge to improve future situations, it makes you a better person.

Snowbear:
I've been a patient.
I don't like unnecessary tests.
I'm also not the brightest bulb in the fixture.
So I tend to dig a little more before I just throw the standing orders at someone and hope the right treatment pops up.
That said, I tend to put the monitor on more patients than many of my co-workers. But I also do fewer 12-leads than most of them :wink:

How is looking beyond the apparent "throwing up standing orders"? BTW, my standing orders are as followes "do whatever you think needs to be done and I will back you 100%, screw up and I will have your butt". I have a great doc and he has a lot of faith in my medicine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom