I got my new 1200 yesterday and added the video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok so now I have a strobe and a video light, anyone else find it really hard to work the controls with both of these attachments? They should have designed this better. I can't reach the shutter button unless I move the video light all the way to the left. Even then it's a bit hard to work the controls.

streetjudge79,

Have you used the video light on a dive? I was wondering how well it worked, and I have not seen any reviews on it. You also asked me a question about hand placement in a different thread where Sealife camera pictures are posted. I replied there. Just let me know if you have any questions.

kfilly

streetjudge79,

Have you used the video light on a dive? I was wondering how well it worked, and I have not seen any reviews on it. You also asked me a question about hand placement in a different thread where Sealife camera pictures are posted. I replied there. Just let me know if you have any questions.

kfilly
Works quite well.

Here are some daylight shots using only the video light and diffusing it with some cut-out white plastic bags and rubber band around to hold it in place

harlequinseagoddess091224004.jpg

harlequinseagoddess091224017.jpg

sailfinblenny0912123.jpg

Some night shots:

yellowseahorse0912124.jpg

sailfinblenny0912122.jpg

pikeblenny0912131.jpg

Shot with my DC600 and only the focus light. The subject and distance determine (for me) whether I use focus and strobe, or just focus.

I have since moved from DC600, now to DSLR

CoolTech,

Great shots! Did you attempt using a strobe/video light combo, or just the video light? I have a DC1200 w/ two strobes, and have been considering going to a SL980/SL961 light/strobe combo, but, like Kfilly said, I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. I don't suppose you have a link to the rest of the shots you took with it, do you? I would love to see the rest of them to see how they look, especially non-macro shots. While I can definitely see the potential benefits of using the light for macro shots and video, I've got a few concerns about potentially using a combo set up. The Sealife website states that it doesn't cause hotspots (by itself), but it IS a different type of light than the strobe, so I can't see how the lighting wouldn't end up being uneven when using them both. I'm also curious as to how the video light would affect the light metering used for auto exposure and auto flash settings. Also, you mentioned using a plastic bag as a diffuser. Do the SL961 diffusers fit the SL980? And did you feel it was necessary to diffuse it, or was it merely precautionary?

Thanks in advance for any and all info you are able to provide!

CoolTech,

Great shots! Did you attempt using a strobe/video light combo, or just the video light?
I use a "focus light" The difference between a video light and a focus light is that a focus light will turn off when the strobe flashes.

I have a DC1200 w/ two strobes, and have been considering going to a SL980/SL961 light/strobe combo, but, like Kfilly said, I haven't seen any reviews on it yet.
The SL980 came out this year based on requests for a video light from SeaLife customers who wanted to shoot video without having to deal with the ever present green tint...

Example: Shot in 4' of water (watch how that color change is exagerated)

I don't suppose you have a link to the rest of the shots you took with it, do you?
Yes, go to the Scuba Board Gallery...

I would love to see the rest of them to see how they look, especially non-macro shots.
Non-macro are generally shot with strobe... Wide angle and distance are show with no strobe and no focus light.

While I can definitely see the potential benefits of using the light for macro shots and video, I've got a few concerns about potentially using a combo set up.
I can't think of a time when one use them in combo (if the focus light doesn't turn off with the strobe), other than in dark conditions (under a bridge, in a cave or cavern, etc.). No camera can focus without enough light to display the subject.

The Sealife website states that it doesn't cause hotspots (by itself), but it IS a different type of light than the strobe, so I can't see how the lighting wouldn't end up being uneven when using them both.
They also call it what it is... a video light. Since a hot spot is specific to a photo, it is impossible for a video light to cause a hotspot by itself.

I'm also curious as to how the video light would affect the light metering used for auto exposure and auto flash settings.
I used the SL961s since they were released... I NEVER used the "auto" settings, and rarely went beyond the #3 settings.

Also, you mentioned using a plastic bag as a diffuser. Do the SL961 diffusers fit the SL980? And did you feel it was necessary to diffuse it, or was it merely precautionary?
Don't know. The SL980 was released this past year... I use the $150 Big Blue 5w focus light...

Big Blue 1x5AFO LED Focus Light - Focus & Video Lights - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

"I use a "focus light" The difference between a video light and a focus light is that a focus light will turn off when the strobe flashes."

Ok, so, since you differentiated the two, now you have me somewhat confused... The original poster on this thread is asking about the video light Sealife just came out with. The beginning of your first post says that you used only the diffused video light, and at the bottom, it says that you used only a focus light. In your reply to me, you said that you only used a focus light? So, are none of the pics you posted using the video light that the OP was asking about? Like I said, ya' lost me there man.

"Yes, go to the Scuba Board Gallery..."

Thanks. I'll do my best to find this specific set of pics in the 130,000 posted in the member gallery, or in the 2,000 pics of yours...

"I can't think of a time when one use them in combo (if the focus light doesn't turn off with the strobe), other than in dark conditions (under a bridge, in a cave or cavern, etc.). No camera can focus without enough light to display the subject."

Again, are you talking about a focus light, or the video light that the OP and myself were asking about?

"They also call it what it is... a video light. Since a hot spot is specific to a photo, it is impossible for a video light to cause a hotspot by itself."

The Sealife website used the term "hotspot", not me. They are very clearly marketing this as more than simply a video light, but to be used for photography as well in combination with a SL961, and specifically comment to there being no hot spots when doing so. My question, was how well this actually works and if it creates uneven lighting since it comes from two different types of sources. But, thanks for managing to dodge a 6th consecutive question.

"I used the SL961s since they were released... I NEVER used the "auto" settings, and rarely went beyond the #3 settings."

Make that #7.

"Don't know. The SL980 was released this past year... I use the $150 Big Blue 5w focus light..."

Again, so which pics that you posted were using the Sealife video light?

If you were honestly trying to be helpful with your answers, I sincerely apologize for my crassness. But, helpful is not the vibe I got from your reply.

The OP states that he added a/the video light. There is no mention of type, model or other information. My video light happens to turn off when my strobes flash. Other than that, it works like every other video light on the market.

You may know the OP. If that is the case, you would know better than the rest of us what the OP was asking about. It's not so cut and dry clear that the OP is talking about the SeaLife video light for those of us who don't know him/her.

Finding my photos is one of the easiest things for people to do (if they try just a little). Go to the Photo Gallery, look on the right hand side about half way down the page... I am listed as the third most posted pictures on SB, or just search the gallery for CoolTech and you will find all 2114 there in the Gallery.

I will state it again clearly, so there is no confusion: I can't imagine a time when one would use them in combo (any video light and strobe)

I never state that I am using the SL980, but then again, neither does the OP.

you can change the settings on the sealife video light to work as a focus light (to turn off when the flash goes off). I added one to my camera and will be testing it (both ways) next week in the Caymans. I will post a review and pictures.

The OP states that he added a/the video light. There is no mention of type, model or other information. My video light happens to turn off when my strobes flash. Other than that, it works like every other video light on the market.

You may know the OP. If that is the case, you would know better than the rest of us what the OP was asking about. It's not so cut and dry clear that the OP is talking about the SeaLife video light for those of us who don't know him/her.

Finding my photos is one of the easiest things for people to do (if they try just a little). Go to the Photo Gallery, look on the right hand side about half way down the page... I am listed as the third most posted pictures on SB, or just search the gallery for CoolTech and you will find all 2114 there in the Gallery.

I will state it again clearly, so there is no confusion: I can't imagine a time when one would use them in combo (any video light and strobe)

I never state that I am using the SL980, but then again, neither does the OP.

Perhaps I assumed incorrectly that he was referring to the Sealife video light, but considering that the title of this subdirectory is "Sealife Station", Sealife only makes one video light for this camera setup, Street says that he added THE (not "a") video light, and mentions how they should have designed it better, I'm guessing not. But, Street, if I assumed incorrectly, feel free to correct me.

Yes, finding your photos is as easy as clicking the link under your name on the side bar of this page. Knowing which of your 2114 pics were taken using the video light that, I'm assuming, Street and myself (I WAS clearly asking about the SL980) asked about, is another story. And, apparently, the answer is none of them.

Since Sealife clearly markets the SL980 to be used in photography, not just videography, I'm still curious to see how those pics come out when used in conjunction with a strobe. So, if anyone has used it yet, (to be clear, so there is no confusion, by "it", I mean the SL980) I'd love to see your pics!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom