I hate this place

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purely for the sake of argument, how do you define a ""real" five, if diving in a quarry isn't?

Im sorry. Maybe I should clarify. I dont consider shallower dives in a quarry real dives FOR ME. There is nothing challenging about them (at least to me). However, deeper dives, even in a quarry, can be complex.

I usually only consider divers that arent "cake" to be real dives. Lately my 25-30ft dives in dutch just arent making it into my log books. They are fun, but no current, no risk of being lost at sea, and plenty of gas make it hard to justify logging them for me. Deeper dives, low vis dives, and dives in the the ocean or more formidable freshwater environments have been making the cut though.

I suppose the only way to define a real dive is based on relativity. To a new diver ANY dive is a real dive, right?

I suppose the only way to define a real dive is based on relativity. To a new diver ANY dive is a real dive, right?

As a new diver I'll certainly agree that just about any time spent breathing underwater is a "real" dive (within reasonable time and depth parameters).

Regarding the actual topic of the post, I wouldn't go so far as to say i hate my local quarry (which is Brownstone BTW) it's certainly not exciting but it is good practice and makes everywhere else seems great by comparison.

Case in point: Was at Ft Wetherill in RI last week with vis 10 - 15 feet (maybe little more - not sure - not a good judge yet), my only thought was "wow the vis is plenty good!":)

Im sorry. Maybe I should clarify. I dont consider shallower dives in a quarry real dives FOR ME. There is nothing challenging about them (at least to me). However, deeper dives, even in a quarry, can be complex.

I usually only consider divers that arent "cake" to be real dives. Lately my 25-30ft dives in dutch just arent making it into my log books. They are fun, but no current, no risk of being lost at sea, and plenty of gas make it hard to justify logging them for me. Deeper dives, low vis dives, and dives in the the ocean or more formidable freshwater environments have been making the cut though.

I just dove Dutch this weekend and was at 94 feet. Dutch Springs is what you make of it. I think I actually got a little narked! Also did a night dive last weekend when the viz was total crap. We were practicing compass navigation - not following the ropes - and it was good lesson on how task loading can sneak up on you quick. Anyway, I'm going out to Venice, FL next week for some shark tooth diving and then down to the Keys to dive the USS Vandenberg and the USS Spiegel Grove at the beginning of November. I am grateful for every dive I have under my belt and I still learn something every time I descend into the quarry. If you're only diving 25-30 ft at Dutch Springs, then take the initiative to mix it up a bit :wink:

I just dove Dutch this weekend and was at 94 feet. Dutch Springs is what you make of it. I think I actually got a little narked! Also did a night dive last weekend when the viz was total crap. We were practicing compass navigation - not following the ropes - and it was good lesson on how task loading can sneak up on you quick. Anyway, I'm going out to Venice, FL next week for some shark tooth diving and then down to the Keys to dive the USS Vandenberg and the USS Spiegel Grove at the beginning of November. I am grateful for every dive I have under my belt and I still learn something every time I descend into the quarry. If you're only diving 25-30 ft at Dutch Springs, then take the initiative to mix it up a bit :wink:

Like I said, deeper dives or those at night, in low vis, and under more demanding conditions can be challenging even in a quarry. However, it will never measure up to a dive in the ocean or large freshwater bodies.

Hope you have a great time on your upcoming dives.

It has been quite a while since I left Pa., but Bainbridge, Willow, and a few other places we dived make Dutch Springs look pretty good. It really is a nice place for training.

Funny how everyone seems to feel the same way.
If you can Dive Dutch well, you can dive in a lot of places. Same thing with the Skiing in PA, if you can ski on the ice and crud, when you hit the nice stuff in VT or out west, it is cake.

Our "Quarribbean" is not perfect, but it is clean, has good attractions, nice depth, size and layout, and if you catch the Dive NY guys on the "last weekend" you get some GREAT food too!!

See you out there soon! (But wear a strobe because Viz was bad Sunday :)

Funny how everyone seems to feel the same way.
If you can Dive Dutch well, you can dive in a lot of places. Same thing with the Skiing in PA, if you can ski on the ice and crud, when you hit the nice stuff in VT or out west, it is cake.

Our "Quarribbean" is not perfect, but it is clean, has good attractions, nice depth, size and layout, and if you catch the Dive NY guys on the "last weekend" you get some GREAT food too!!

See you out there soon! (But wear a strobe because Viz was bad Sunday :)

Agree on all your points about skiing and diving PA. It was effortless the first time I skied Aspen with its powder snow and wide trails. Jumping into 60+ft vis and warm water without all the thermo protection and extra gear makes Carribean diving so easy.

Last year's DNY Turkey Fry was a blast with all the GREAT food and mischief. Everyone brought something to share so that helped make it a success. :bounce:

Got My advance this Wkend, now when I go to the Bahamas I can enjoy it. going to do somemore or bouyance and navigation, but I can really enjoy it. Still going to Dutch Springs got my season pass for next year.

There maybe many reasons for people to not like this place, Dutch Springs. I am in a place where the vis is great with tons of marine life.

But I still miss Dutch Springs, smiles of folks there , even staff at the air fill station.....

Back
Top Bottom