I have a chance to dive Aliwal Shoals!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm so happy! We're planning a family trip to South Africa, and we'll be on the South Coast for 3 days. I thought we wouldn't have a chance to do any diving, as it won't work out for us to go to Sodwana Bay, but now I see that Aliwal Shoals will practically be on our doorstep!

So--for those of you familiar with the area-what can you tell me?

1. Is Aliwal shoals really one of the top 10 dives sites in the world?
2. What dive op do you recommend, and why?
3. A couple of family members who are divers are fearful of the sharks? How many divers each year get eaten by sharks at Aliwal Shoals? :wink:
4. What can we expect at the end of November? (Nov 29-Dec 1)
5. How do you pronounce it????
6. What about Protea Banks???

Can't wait!

1. Yes without a doubt, I have dived all over the world and the shoal is still one of my favourite dive sites.

2. Seaforever www.seaforever.com, great op and run very well, great food and great dm's

3. None that I know of, Raggies are there in season, the only other sharks I have seen is one Tiger and a few Zambezi's (Bulls)

4. Doubt there will be any more raggies around, the marine life is great though.

5. As it is spelt. A-li-wall

6. Protea Banks is a very different dive, deeper and a bit more current. This would be more of an adventure dive for the family members who are fearful of sharks as there are a lot in the area. You should get lucky and see the Tigers.

I would recommend a dive on the Produce if the conditions are right at Aliwal, it is a fantastic dive.

Best of luck, you will love it :)

In answer to your questions:
1. Is Aliwal shoals really one of the top 10 dives sites in the world?
I agree with scubaculture's comments. Aliwal Shoal is definately rated among the world favorite sites. See http://www.divesouthafrica.co.za/divesitesofsouthafrica.html#aliwalshoal for more information on Aliwal Shoal

2. What dive op do you recommend, and why?
There are quite a few in Umkomaas, one we always use is Aliwal Dive Charters, very professional. It is right next to a restaurant and two hotels (KwaMnandi Lodge and La La Manzi)

3. A couple of family members who are divers are fearful of the sharks? How many divers each year get eaten by sharks at Aliwal Shoals?
I have not heard of any diver being attacked by any shark on the shoal or any other dive site before.

4. What can we expect at the end of November? (Nov 29-Dec 1)
Visit http://www.divesouthafrica.co.za/scubadivinginsouthafrica.html - we have a small list of what-you-can-see

5. How do you pronounce it????
like scubaculture said - A-li-wall

6. What about Protea Banks???
Again i agree with scubaculture on his comments. 3 days at Aliwal is just enough to get a feel of the reef. 3 full days should give you at least 6 dives

Thanks for your input! I'm getting even more enthusiastic now. And I was all bummed out cuz we wouldn't be going to Sodwana Bay!

Guess who's going to be carting her dive equipment to South Africa!!!! Now I just wish we'd scheduled more than three days on the South Coast!

Baie Dankie. That's approaching the limit of my Afrikaans, BTW. Ek is Amerikanse.

One more question: How warm is the water? I know there's a lot of individual variation, but what exposure protection do divers typically wear?

I have dived aliwal through both Quo Vadis (www.raggiecave.com) and Aliwal Dive Charters (www.aliwalshoal.co.za) and found both to be professional and well-run. Last dive we saw about 20-25 Raggies, but they pretty much mind thier own business so I doubt anyone is going to get eaten (Ha Ha!!).

It is a good time of the year to be going to SA, as it in the summer and as the others have said you wont need more than a 3mm.

Enjoy the trip (Geniet jou vakansie) !
(Lucky you - getting to be in Durban diving during the summer while I get to brave the New York winter!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom