Trip Report Video - Diving the Fury Shoals (Egypt) from Wadi Lahami, Red Sea Diving Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karel_de_Goeiste

Registered
Reaction score
October 2022 I stayed with my family at Wadi Lahami (Red Sea Diving Safari). A small resort, located in the Deep South of Egypt, not far from Sudan. A great place if you want to escape crowds. We loved staying there. The scenery, staff, food, all where great.

Diving was amazing! Wadi Lahami lies on the doorstep of the Fury Shoals, a large cluster of reefs, famous for it’s pristine corals.

I like to share the video I made (< 6 minutes):

Chapters of the movie
00:00 Intro and location
00:25 The resort, Wadi Lahami Village
00:53 Diving the beautiful Fury Shoals
04:18 The starry night and butterflies
04:50 Dolphins!

Music
- Unknown artist and song
- Carbon Based Lifeforms - MOS 6581
- Ismael Drame - Toumani Diabaté
- Hans Zimmer – Time

If you are interested in the extended version (10 minutes):

Beautiful diving, and the video is very well done! May I ask what kind of camera equipment you were using?

Also, how do you get there?

Beautiful diving, and the video is very well done! May I ask what kind of camera equipment you were using?

Also, how do you get there?
Thanks!

I used pretty basic equipment
- GoPro 11
- With INON UFL-G140 SD (Semi-fisheye Conversion Lens)
- Two SeaLife (3000 lumens) video lights

For color correction, noise reduction, etc. I used Davinci Resolve.

In shallow water, with lots of ambient light and good visibility this setup works surprisingly well. Especially considering its price. The downside is that the GoPro needs lots of light. So I would not recommend it for low light conditions.

Coming from Europe (The Netherlands) traveling to Wadi Lahami is easy, cheap and convenient. From where I live (Eindhoven) it's less than a 1,5 drive to Amsterdam, Dusseldorf and Antwerp airport. The flight to Marsa Alam is 5 hours. From there it's a 2,5 hour drive to Wadi Lahami. So, we can leave early in the morning and arrive in the afternoon. Also great: the time difference is 0 or 1 hour (depending on daylight saving time or summer time). So the next day (or even in the afternoon) we can start diving fresh and well-rested.

Thanks for the possitive feedback!

There was an islamic verse in the music that I used, that is not suitable for a holiday video. So I changed the audio.

Great video!
I'm considering a solo trip to Wadi Lahami. Would you recommend it?
Did you stay in a tent?
How were the accommodations and guides?
TIA

Great video!
I'm considering a solo trip to Wadi Lahami. Would you recommend it?
Did you stay in a tent?
How were the accommodations and guides?
TIA
Thanks! And YES! Many solo-travelers visit Wadi Lahami. All dives are done using RIB's (ridged inflatable boats). The morning dives are guided, so never a problem when you are alone. In the afternoon you can ask others if you can join. This should also work (it did work when we where there).

The tents are spacious and pretty nice, but we prefer to have a private bathroom, so we stayed in a deluxe chalet.

Guides where great! And so was staff in general.

Thanks! And YES! Many solo-travelers visit Wadi Lahami. All dives are done using RIB's (ridged inflatable boats). The morning dives are guided, so never a problem when you are alone. In the afternoon you can ask others if you can join. This should also work (it did work when we where there).

The tents are spacious and pretty nice, but we prefer to have a private bathroom, so we stayed in a deluxe chalet.

Guides where great! And so was staff in general.

One can't dive from shore at all? Also, how many boat dives can a person do a day that are included in the package?

One can't dive from shore at all? Also, how many boat dives can a person do a day that are included in the package?
Correct, no shore diving at Wadi Lahami. There is a house reef, but you also go there by RIB (takes just a few minutes).

Early in the morning there are two boat dives on the Fury Shoals. Reefs normally only reachable by liveaboard. Most of these sites are included in the package. For some of the outer reefs, like Sataya dolphin reef, you have to pay a small fee. After the two morning dives they bring you back to the resort for lunch. After lunch there is one dive (more nearby then the morning dives). And just before diner there is a nightdive (also nearby). So four dives in total, every day.

A couple of years ago we where at Nakari and Shagra (the other Red Sea Safari camps). At Nakari and Shagra you can dive from shore on the housereef. We did not miss shorediving at Lahami. Diving from the RIB's is pretty comfortable. You assemble your equipment and change tanks on the boat. The dive sites arround Shagra and Nakari are beautiful (and so are the housereefs). But the site near Lahami are even better! And the resort much more relaxed and less crowded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom