I have a dream!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you had visited me teaching a PADI OW pool sessions and then come back the next weekend to see another instructor from the same shop teach a PADI pool session, you would have seen two very different looking classes.

Agreed. I think you (meaning @Colliam7) would come out more conflicted about "what is best" than when you started. No doubt your bag-of-tricks would expand allowing you to tailor your messaging better for individual backgrounds and personality traits.

I guess my question is what would you hope to learn from the exercise? For example, you would get a very different experience attending a 2-3 day OW PADI course at a Caribbean resort than the same PADI course in Alaska. A more extreme comparison would be the resort course and USN Scuba school, if you have 5 weeks to kill and are personal friends with the SecNav.

Imagine what a course would look like for all fourth-year engineering students on the university swim team that all need an "A" versus the resort course. I figure your dream would make my head explode.

Imagine what a course would look like for all fourth-year engineering students on the university swim team that all need an "A" versus the resort course. I figure your dream would make my head explode.
It is a good point--even with the same instructor, a course will look somewhat different with different students.

The reference to the swim team brought to mind just such an experience. In the first classroom session, I noticed that one of the students, a tall and athletic-looking young man, was wearing a polo shirt with the name of a major university swim team. When I was later pulling out rental gear for the pool sessions, I saw he had a tattoo for that university, and I asked him if he had indeed been on the swim team. When he confirmed it, I said, "You probably won't have too much trouble with the 200 yard/meter sim then," and he said, "Well, I was 6th in the world then but that was awhile ago." When the students were doing the required swim, he did it calmly and comfortably, but he still created a wave that went across the entire pool. It was helping everyone on the same lap and hindering everyone going against it. When we did the float, he treaded water with his arms folded. In the class itself, he was every bit as competent as you would expect. A class full of people like that would be one to remember.

For a direct contrast, I once had a couple come in for a crash course. They needed to get through the classroom and pool sessions because they were going on a family gathering in Hawai'i, and they wanted to dive with their children and grandchildren. The wife had had a double mastectomy a year before, but they insisted she would be able to do it. The husband was doing OK, but the wife was struggling. It took every instructional trick I could muster to get her through the skills, but as time went on, it became more and more clear that she wasn't going to make it before the trip. She said she would sit out so her husband could finish. When she did, her husband told her how proud he was of her, especially since our pool session was the first time in her life she had put her head under water!

So, yes, who is in your class has a big impact on how you teach.

OK, I tried to warn you!
upload_2017-7-1_16-14-26.png

Thanks for all of the interesting and thought-provoking responses. It might be good to add some comment, by way of explanation of my original post.

The line of thinking started several years ago, with an interest in better understanding the SEI teaching approach to teaching OW. I had long been impressed with the apparent professional pride that former Y Scuba and now SEI instructors evinced in their SB posts. I thought it would be great to be a 'fly on the wall' and observe a class. I went so far as to contact SEI to see if there were SEI instructors in my 'neck of the woods', that I might contact to ask if I could observe one of his/her OW classes. But, I also recognized the distinct possibility of a Hawthorne effect in such an approach, and never pursued it beyond that contact. I have also been intrigued by some of the UTD teaching videos, as another example. In thinking through it, I have come to realize that I would like to understand - from the perspective of a student - what the training experience is like in another agency course, while learning - from the perspective of an Instructor - about possible different approaches to teaching that other agencies might employ. Frankly, I am just fundamentally curious about the magnitude of difference, and the diversity of teaching techniques. As I said originally, I am PADI 'born and bred'. I am VERY happy with the PADI system, I get great support from the organization, I feel that I have enormous flexibility, etc. But, that doesn't mean that I cannot, or should not want to, learn from other organizations! When I was a high school athletic coach, I learned something (good or bad) from the opposing coach in every game my team played, win or lose.

Now, I fully understand that the instructor-specific nature of most training, irrespective of agency, could influence any possible experience. I have participated in numerous SB threads, and said essentially just that same thing. I hope I am not so naive as to expect something else. But, there may be agency-specific, core approaches to teaching, about which it would be worthwhile to learn.

Perhaps, my post was more philosophical musing than a literal statement of 'intent to pursue'. But, I really believe there are probably lessons I could learn - that would help me continue to work toward becoming a better Instructor - from observing instructional methods across agencies.

(And, a possible secondary reason for posting is that I believe we can learn from each other, and that learning starts with a sense of mutual respect. )

I had long been impressed with the apparent professional pride that former Y Scuba and now SEI instructors evinced in their SB posts.
This history of NAUI is very informative about the history of diving instruction in its earliest days. In one section, it talks about the differing approaches of the differing agencies, and it includes the YMCA. One of the things it says it that the different YMCA locations were quite independent of one another, so what you experienced in one location might differ from what you experienced in another location.

It is a good point--even with the same instructor, a course will look somewhat different with different students.

It would look wery different, if it is a good instructor. But some instructors do not have the ability to adapt to their students needs.

...But some instructors do not have the ability to adapt to their students needs.

How much of that is inexperience with a variety of students and instructors, motivation, talent, and/or intellect? I was lucky to have great chemistry with my first diving instructor, plus I think he wanted to mentor me.

Back
Top Bottom