I just got these from a friend, what do all of the markings mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCastle19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Do you like bells?

You've got a bunch of old aluminum 80cf tanks. Call around and see if your local shops will even hydro and fill them. Many won't, especially that Luxfer tank.

You can use this guide to precisely decipher the markings: Cylinder Markings 2022 — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

Much of what you need is here.
1701053908489.png

You have aluminum cylinders, some made by Catalina, some by Luxfer. They appear to all be 80 cuft cylinders (S-80). The "born dates are critical, especially on the Luxfer cylinders. Some shops won't fill cylinders older than 20, maybe 30 years. The stamped dates, like 8(symbol)96 are hydro tests, ding every five years. To be filled, the cylinder has to have had a hydro within the last five years. None of them appear to have been hydroed for 2-3 decades. Some are very old -- like 1974 -- and teh newest are 1995.

You may end up selling them for scrap to a junkyard for the aluminum.

Do you like bells?

You've got a bunch of old aluminum 80cf tanks. Call around and see if your local shops will even hydro and fill them. Many won't, especially that Luxfer tank.

You can use this guide to precisely decipher the markings: Cylinder Markings 2022 — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive
Decent bells are made from steel tanks, not AL, unfortunately.

The ones marked SP6498 I am pretty sure are "special permit" i.e. they are the bad alloy. You will have a heck of a time getting them filled. I have two Luxfer 50s that I am making into scuba mailboxes. Aluminum doesn't have the nice ring a steel tank makes when cut into a bell (tell me if I am wrong). Another option is to sell them for scrap.

As long as they were free, you got them at the right price. Nice of you to help your friend get rid of his junk...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom