I learned somethings this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

didi440

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not so much an incident -- but I definately learned a lot this weekend.

I just got my dry suit and had dove it in the pool, practiced the drill about what to do if you wind up upside down. I went to the quarry where we do OW dives and did more dives in it there and got my dry suit specialty in the process. Yesterday was my first deep dive (over 60 feet) with it. I wore the heavier of the 2 under garments. First thing I learned was that I need ankle weights with the heavier undergarment for now. I will be doing some more dives in the dry suit with the heavier undergarment in the quarry to "tweak" it a bit so I can ditch the ankle weights as soon as possible.

The second thing I learned was that I need to work on back roll entries. The boat took a wierd shift as I was getting ready to enter the water. My balance was off just enough that into the drink I went. Fortunately, my BCD was inflated and up to the surface I came. I guess I should also mention that my reg was in my mouth and I didn't lose it or spit it out.

The third and possibly most important thing I learned was that it's impossible to dive with swimmer's ear. After my lovely entry (my instructor who was my dive buddy gave me an 8.5 once he saw the OK), I got myself settled on the surface and attempted to descend on the line. OH HEAVENS!!! The pain and pressure. It made me quite dizzy. I came back up -- explained the issue to my buddy and felt the pressure ease. I tried to descend again -- I got to 15 feet and again pain and pressure -- up I come. I hung out on the surface and attempted to clear on the surface. It seemed to ease -- so I tried a third time. Nothing doing. So I thumbed the dive. After I got back, I saw the ENT early Saturday. I now have antibiotics and drops -- no diving for 10 days. I have a follow up for Thursday to check the right ear because it was very swollen from the infection and the attempts to clear my ears. No damage, thank goodness. The thing is, I never felt pain or pressure until I attempted to descend. I had no idea I even had the infection.

So that is what I learned this weekend.

Anytime you learn something it's a good dive.

Often the hardest part of getting up to speed with a drysuit is finding your new configurations. Pay close attention on each dive and keep tweaking until it works for you.

Pete

and next entry, film it! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom