I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might be slightly misguided. I have no desire to stop you from collecting shells. I am not at all bothered by your shell collection. In fact I wish you any joy you might get from it. Can you say the same thing about my desire to collect guns? Guns are a tool that have the possibility of killing people. Scuba gear also has the ability to kill.

I have no problem with the 80% of gun owners who don't hunt. Sorry I ever brought up hunting. What else exactly to you do with guns anyway, other than for protection, which I heartily agree with. I don't have any problem with those who like and collect guns for ANY reason--target practise, just to look at and admire them. REALLY. I waited months for all these posts to accumulate before commenting that it seems Americans (I am also one) as a country are more fascinated with guns than most other places. I believe statistics prove that. I also believe that statistics show that gun deaths are way more numerous in the U.S. than in other places. I'm not even saying that's bad--I'm sure a lot of those people killed deserved it--again, having grown up in South Yonkers. Personally, I would find use for a gun if I were a hunter, or if I felt the need for protection. There are even places here in "peace loving" Canada where if I lived there I would consider a gun--our gun control laws be damned. Otherwise, they don't interest me.

side note: scuba gear can kill the shell collector himself, but most likely not another person....Unless the shell collector also carries a spear GUN. Which I also have no problem with, though I would think twice about diving among spearos.

File:CalicoM100.jpg - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

I like strange guns

100 round helix magazine rare to see

500px-CalicoM100.jpeg

I have no problem with the 80% of gun owners who don't hunt. Sorry I ever brought up hunting. What else exactly to you do with guns anyway, other than for protection, which I heartily agree with. I don't have any problem with those who like and collect guns for ANY reason--target practise, just to look at and admire them. REALLY. I waited months for all these posts to accumulate before commenting that it seems Americans (I am also one) as a country are more fascinated with guns than most other places. I believe statistics prove that. I also believe that statistics show that gun deaths are way more numerous in the U.S. than in other places. I'm not even saying that's bad--I'm sure a lot of those people killed deserved it--again, having grown up in South Yonkers. Personally, I would find use for a gun if I were a hunter, or if I felt the need for protection. There are even places here in "peace loving" Canada where if I lived there I would consider a gun--our gun control laws be damned. Otherwise, they don't interest me.

side note: scuba gear can kill the shell collector himself, but most likely not another person....Unless the shell collector also carries a spear GUN. Which I also have no problem with, though I would think twice about diving among spearos.

The big picture is often missed and it has been from years of brain washing the masses.

Here is how most stores are written about when bad things happen;
"Drunk driver" kills family of 4.
"Rapist" attacks a woman.
"Psycho" attacks neighbor

But when it comes to guns they are written different;
4 dead in "assault rifle attack"
Man shot with "handgun"
"gun" used to kill 2

In most cases the "blame" is put on the person causing the problem. But for some reason when it comes to gun the blame gets put on the object? Sure sometimes they use the title "evil gunman" but still the blame always comes back to the object.

When was the last time you saw a drunk driving case where either the vehicle or the alcohol were the primary thing blamed and not the person? Again guns do NOT kill people any more then any other object does anything on its own.

I know I am not the greatest at some of my writing but I hope at least some of that made sense.

Well, you answered most of your own question in regard to why American's own firearms other than for hunting - "collecting, protection, target practice, just to admire them..."

As for the hunting issue -

the relationship of gun ownership in regard to hunting has as much relevance as the relationship of scuba diving does to spear fishing

Why do American's own firearms - #1 answer is - because we can. Why? Because we have a constitution that provides for it in the 2nd amendment. There is no need for any other justification at all, trying to explain it via hunting, collecting, protection of whatever is irrelevant and really has no bearing, the bottom line is it is a constitutional right, end of story.

Why individually do American's own firearms? That's as personal as to why do some people own dogs while others own cats and others don't like pets at all... there are many personal reasons because firearm owners don't look at firearms as anything more unordinary than many other items, be them cars, a dog, a clock radio or anything else, it's just a firearm, it's a physical item that is as unordinary as any other ordinary item. Non-firearm owners who have problems with firearms don't understand that relationship, they are scared of firearms, scared of what nasty people can do with them. They have a very disjointed, unrealistic, very conflicted, very convoluted perception of firearms.

Why are American's 'fascinated' by firearms? We aren't, we have just had our rights to own them protected since 1791, while other 'civilized' countries around the world allowed their rights to disappear or didn't have them in the first place. With some 220 years of 'the right to bear arms' Americans have had a long, long time to grow a healthy relationship with firearms, while the rest of the world has had to live with their nanny governments taking this ability away from them.

Nwcid, I agree. The only thing I could think of is that perhaps (?) a bigger % of gunshots result in a pretty quick death as opposed to those other things. I don't know that, just a possible reason the guns are blamed as opposed to the rapist, or even drunk driver. But you're right, it's just one of those society "norms' that happens to be biased toward guns.

kind of related side note-- We always hear that "he wasn't wearing his seat belt". Why do we hear that? I believe it is because society just got fixed on required seat belts in the '80s. This, although not at all related to the constitution (there were no cars then), is certainly another example of "rights" taken by the nanny state. But I don't want to re-start the seat belt threads. OR smoking threads!!!

Mike, Actually, I fully agree with you as well. There is still the lopsoded % of deaths caused by guns in the U.S. as opposed to other places. ASSUMING this stat is correct, what do you think on that?

Mike, Actually, I fully agree with you as well. There is still the lopsoded % of deaths caused by guns in the U.S. as opposed to other places. ASSUMING this stat is correct, what do you think on that?

A huge discussion that I have no desire to get into here. If you seriously are interested in learning more I suggest you go over to THR - Powered by vBulletin become a member, read some and then start asking intelligent questions like you are here and you should get some very articulate and intelligent answers that may very well help you understand the gun culture better, and the unfortuante brainwashing that has been going on for a long time by the anti-gunners.

One thing I can tell you is that many firearm owners look deeper into issues at root causes, for example we look at a public massacre such as Columbine, the Aurora theater shooting, the Sand Hook Elementary shooting...

The :
Anders Behring Breivik Norway shooting 77 killed 150 wounded
Woo Bun Kon - south korea 57 killed, 35 wounded
Martin Bryant - Australia 0 35 killed, 21 wounded
Seung Hui Cho - Virginia USA 32 killed, 25 wounded
Camp Delgado - Bogota Columbia, 30 killed, 15 wounded

... and we look deeper at the problem which isn't a firearm problem, a gun control problem, but a people problem, a society problem.

Many fire arm owners look at something like the Aurora theater shooting and understand that one armed individual in that theater could have changed the outcome dramatically. But that wasn't possible as the theater had declared their property a gun free zone, so legal open carry or legal concealed carry wasn't an option for anyone in that theater. When society freaks out and over-reacts in the wrong direction with banning and controlling honest citizens from their ability to be armed and defend themselves and others, they create a killing zone for criminals and psychopaths to take advantage of molesting and murdering the innocent public with no fear of the victims reprisals.

One thing you should understand and dig deeper into is this very important clue - why are law enfocement officers so anti-gun control? If you follow the logic of the public, the police should be on the front lines of wanting all firearms banned and controlled since they directly deal with crime and guns on a daily basis. Why are they for firearm rights? why are they for open carry, why are they pro conceal carry for the public? Follow up on exploring that and its the first clues to the reality of the society we live in and the real truth about firearms and ownership minus the bias of the liberals and the liberal media.

Mike, I checked out the gun forum you mentioned. Lots to read there. Again, I understand what you are saying about gun deaths resulting from societal problems--of course. I know you don't want to get into that big discussion. Just wondering if you think that stat about the U.S. is true, and if so, do you think gun control (not that I think we should have it) would reduce gun deaths some?

Mike, I checked out the gun forum you mentioned. Lots to read there. Again, I understand what you are saying about gun deaths resulting from societal problems--of course. I know you don't want to get into that big discussion. Just wondering if you think that stat about the U.S. is true, and if so, do you think gun control (not that I think we should have it) would reduce gun deaths some?

The problem with that idea is that ANY law ONLY works for people willing to abide by the law. Criminal by nature are breaking the law, so WHO does the law effect? There are already 40,000 gun control laws on the books, not counting things like "it is illegal to kill people" and yet that does not stop it. What is one more or two more or even a thousand laws going to do to change that?

In most cases where guns are used to hurt/kill another they are either used in defense, so legal OR they are breaking not just one but MANY laws...........

Why is it in places like DC, CA, NY, ect that have very restricted gun rights there is WAY more "gun" crime then places where guns are more prevalent? How come in those places more criminals have firearms then law abiding people? Laws in those places restrict law abiding people from owning guns, but does NOTHING to stop the criminals.

Back
Top Bottom