I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice. Do you no longer enjoy shooting them?

I have a BDL in 7MM mag with a composite stock. I still like the wood stock though, it is a beautiful rifle.

Thanks for asking politely. I would say that at one time in my younger days I did indeed like my guns but never for example to the point of collecting or trading etc. And never did much plinking mainly because of not really having the disposable income to so. For the most part they were tools that I used to stay alive and feed my family. I did reload to save money and increase accuracy.

So here ya go

This is the gun 50. cal Thompson Hawkin kit in this picture

Killed some 8 to 10 deer and 12 to 15 pronghorns with it

Saddle gun I carried for griz country. 454 Casull Primier grade 4 3/4 " mana-ported barrel

Killed one bear with it. And to my lasting regret a pine squirrel just to see if I could actually hit at 25 ft and because it barked and scared off an elk I was going to shoot.

My main hunting rifle. Remington BDL in 300 win mag. Barnes stock and muzzle brake
this gun was death in waiting I killed maybe 30 elk and as many deer with it.

Nice. Do you no longer enjoy shooting them?

I have a BDL in 7MM mag with a composite stock. I still like the wood stock though, it is a beautiful rifle.
Lets put it this way it is not so much I don't enjoy shooting anymore . it is simply I just don't shoot anymore.
Largely because as I said I never was much into plinking and more importantly I stopped hunting because of three life changing reasons.

As per our discourse in the other thread, after a lifetime of hunting and eating red meat, then last year undergoing bilateral carotid endarterectomies for severely block carotids 80% blocked left 98% blocked right.
I no longer eat red meat.

Although truth be told I had actually stopped hunting some 7 years prior.

As one ages it is not unusual to loose the bloodlust ( so to speak) and become less interested in killing animals. Or to put it in hunter/ gatherer terms to become an elder and leave the glory (and the work) of hunting to the young men.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly there were two occurrences that forever changed and quelled my desire to continue hunt game animals for food.

One was just down from my house on the highway finding and picking up an hours old mule deer fawn that was exhausted and lying inches from the 65 mph lane . The doe was frantically weaving back and forth I assume trying to get it to rise and follow her. So I picked it up and carried to a clearing about 50 yards off the road while the doe shadowed me about 30 yrds. off . I left and came back about 30 mins later and spotted them about another 200 into the woods together.

We lived for the last 11 years at one of the most traveled wildlife corridors in the Southern Yellowstone ecosystem.

One winter about 3 years after moving there we had 3 bull moose show up and start eating the hay we would throw out for the horses.
Then about 3 weeks later 4 bull elk showed up and the lead bull elk proceeded to run the moose off .
The 4 elk stayed the entire winter and we made the mistake of naming them !!!!!!
The next winter the lead elk showed up and did so for 5 years in a row, then presumably he was either killed during the hunt or died of old age.
But after having him get to the point of being able to walk out to within 10 feet of him and throw him hay. he not only taught us much about elk he became a wild member of our personal animals.
The thought of killing elk then became untenable.

Meet Eddy

You made a statement I was curious as to what you were referring, so I googled and then posted the results. From what I did find, it did not support the outright anti-gun accusation. I did not find the "I hate guns quote" apparently I wasn't thorough enough. He may be anti gun but, as you say we really don't know what is in mind. So we are left to either speculate or by going by what he actually says. To that end after more research I believe the quote is "I'm not a gun person, I hate guns they freak me out" Again saying he hates guns personally is still in fact, not the same as saying he is against anyone having guns. I'm interested empirical evidence not emotional speculation.

Good, glad you finally did your own research and confirmed for yourself what I said about actors in Hollywood, now we are all in agreement. It would have been easier had you just done that right from the start instead of arguing against what I said in the beginning when you had no evidence to support a position against it other than your feelings. You finally looked it up for yourself, now you know.

carry on...

If you guys are not aware, this is for real. It happened to me a couple times. Fortunately with nothing in the chamber. First time I thought it was me.
CNBC airs documentary on Remington 700 rifle accidental discharges - National Blogosphere Buzz | Examiner.com

My Remington BDL 308 never did that, although a friend says it did when he was shooting it.
Having to remove the safety to cycle rounds is a serious flaw, imo. I suspect that my friend bumped the trigger while doing this.
I loved the gun, but always kept that flaw in mind while handling the firearm.

Good, glad you finally did your own research and confirmed for yourself what I said about actors in Hollywood, now we are all in agreement. It would have been easier had you just done that right from the start instead of arguing against what I said in the beginning when you had no evidence to support a position against it other than your feelings. You finally looked it up for yourself, now you know.

carry on...
Honestly that really is pretty good and funny. Touche' Well at least your consistent in your refusal to acknowledge your mistaken rhetoric

Yes indeed now I know, imagine my complete shock and surprise to discover that blind adherence to emotional party hype is as alive and well in the pro gun crowd as the anti. Do indeed carry on

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 07:15 AM ----------

If you guys are not aware, this is for real. It happened to me a couple times. Fortunately with nothing in the chamber. First time I thought it was me.
CNBC airs documentary on Remington 700 rifle accidental discharges - National Blogosphere Buzz | Examiner.com
Humm? maybe . In over 40 years of carrying my BDL never had an issue, the only accidental discharge I ever had was straight up in air, and my stupidity. Standing in the back of pic up leaning on the tool rack jostling down a dirt road with my finger in the trigger guard and not realizing the safety was off.

In the interest of fairness Remington has this put up this in rebuttal.

carry on...

What you said was 10%. I still haven't seen any data to support your factual assertion. Either back up 10% with data or don't use numbers.

I absolutely love guns. Would anyone *who has already commented on this thread* (no ringers) like to engage in a "who loves guns more" 1000 yard shooting competition?

5 shots, cold bore, smallest group wins.

Because call outs on who loves guns more demand a macho competition!

Anyone?

Sure. Why not? I have several guns that'll reach that far. I'm generally a lousy shot at that range and i won't, most likely, win. But for me, that's not the point; I just like guns. Seems to me that mucho macho is generally a form of compensation.

i don't have a thousand yard range. They're kinda rare for us simple civilians.

Walk softly, amigos.

Meanwhile

I just scored 1000 rnds of 9mm 115g FMJ for $0.16/rnd. Haven't see a price that low in a long time.

That should be enough to get through a couple of weekends of fun or get me through a few days during the Zombie Apocalypse.

5 rounds pfft. Thousand yards? pfft.

Hand guns all the way baby.

A thousand rounds of anything is a good thing. Zombies beware!

Not a bad price, dm. Things are returning, albeit too slowly, to normal. Hope you get to heat up a barrel or two this weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom