I may not get to Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDiveGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I just got back from my Dive physical, and I have to postpone my Cert class b/c my doctor won't clear me. I have a history of asthma (mainly as a child), and my dive doctor (got his name from DAN) won't clear me until he is sure that I won't get an attack from cold air. I was given a breathing test, and the doctor said my results we mildly abnormal. He started me on Advair 500. In a month I have to go to a Pulmonary Clinic and have the doctor attempt to induce a cold air bronchiospasm. If my lungs don't spasm, I am in the clear and can take my OW class.

Are there any other members who have gone through the same test/experience? I'm curious to hear from other asthmatics. How do you control you asthma? Have you ever had an attack diving?

I haven't had an asthma attack in 6 months or so. My last attack occurred b/c I attempted to climb up the Eiffel tower last January (and was somewhat out of shape and inactive). I made it up to the 2nd level, relaxed for 20 minutes, and then was fine again. Before this I hadn’t had an episode in years.

I was given a pump after a bad cold and generally never use it. I am fairly active, work out semi-regularly, and have never really considered myself to be an asthmatic.

The funny thing is that my primary physician cleared me for my class, but I figured I’d get a 2nd opinion for a dive medicine doctor. I am really hoping that I don't have to follow my doctors advice and "Find another Sport".

Eric

Better safe than sorry - good luck. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom