I need help with a Bahamas question !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has agreed to go on a small liveaboard out of Fort Lauderdale for a week in March 2006.

My question is - Is that a bad time to do this trip due to the weather - rough water - etc.

If this is a bad time, when is a good time?

Thanks.

DD

Is there ever a good day to cross the gulf stream? I have only experienced it twice, once was not so bad for me, everyone else was green. The second time it was a wild ride, I was fine, but others weren't. Maybe book on a boat that does the Bahamas, like I think, AquaCat? take a flight over the gulf stream instead of sailing it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

DeputyDan:
My wife has agreed to go on a small liveaboard out of Fort Lauderdale for a week in March 2006.

My question is - Is that a bad time to do this trip due to the weather - rough water - etc.

If this is a bad time, when is a good time?

Thanks.

DD

sharon:
Is there ever a good day to cross the gulf stream? I have only experienced it twice, once was not so bad for me, everyone else was green. The second time it was a wild ride, I was fine, but others weren't. Maybe book on a boat that does the Bahamas, like I think, AquaCat? take a flight over the gulf stream instead of sailing it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have to go along with sharon on this one. Try to book a boat that is already in the Bahamas: you will lose a day travelling on EITHER end of the trip just crossing the Gulf Stream. And it can be VERY nasty.

Bonne chance,

You'll get a smoother ride but you'll pay through the nose for it. I'm on the CE I out of George Town and the airfare costs almost as much as the rest of the trip does. In the future I'd chose a trip that leaves state side(like Nekton) and get the cheaper airfare and deal with the choppy ride.

vertaqua:
In the future I'd chose a trip that leaves state side(like Nekton) and get the cheaper airfare and deal with the choppy ride.

No offense, but "choppy ride" doesn't even begin to cover how bad it can get on a Gulf Stream crossing. How do 25' seas and 30 knot winds sound?

Seriously, the crossing can be VERY bad if there is any wind with a North component in it (NE, NW, N). Since none of these vessels scrub a trip for anything less than a tropical storm warning, this can mean a bad crossing more often than not.

Been there, done that, almost lost a sailboat....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom