I need to make a decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sphengolly

Reaction score
I am buying a reg setup and here are my possible combinations:

Apeks ATX 50 / ATX 40 - $366

Apeks ATX50 / T20 - $338

Apeks ATX40 / ATX40 - $337

Apeks ATX40 / T20 - $292

Scubapro MK2+/R390/R190 - $230

Scubapro MK16/R390/R190 - $270

The main factor for me now is which is easiest to service. I plan on learning to service them myself. Since this is the case, I would like one that is easy to service. I currently dive less than 100'. But I would like to go deeper in the future.

I want a 1st that is balanced, but the MK16 is diaphram and I heard diaphram were harder to service...is this true?

But then again, the Apeks are diaphram as well.

The MK2+ is a great reg and cheap...that is why I can't take it off of my list.

Hmmm...any thoughts?

I would guess that folks will recommend one of the ATX50 combos...

I've not used an Apeks reg but would probably go that route next time. I'm happy with my Oceanic....

I've just recently got ATX40's and love them, no probs at all, so I would be inclined to go for either the ATX40's or ATX50/ATX40, I wouldn't bother with the T20, I don't know where you dive or what kind of diving you plan to do but T20 is not cold water rated/environmentally sealed and therefore no good if you plan cold water dives.
Don't know anything about scubapro regs so can't say other than the few times I have used them they have been very comfortable and good breathers :wink:

I vote for the Scuba Pros. As stated above, they are great breathers, reliable, economical, and can be easily serviced just about anywhere. Also, they have a lifetime guarantee. When they need to be serviced, you only pay for labor.

Finnatic

Parts availability is the long pole in the DIY tent, with manuals right behind it; and tools a distant third. Complexity is not a big problem if you have the mechanical ability, parts, tools & manuals. I saw a recent thread suggesting Diverite is openning access to parts and documentation. You may want to research the support sources before you make a decision.

Yes I have taken into account the accumulation of parts. And I beleive parts for any of these will be attainable. Not easily obtainable, but obtainable.

And I already have the repair manual for the Apeks...so I am set with that. Tools will not be a problem.

I am leaning towards the Apeks ATX50/ATX40 combo. If, as you say, the complexity is equivalent, then price is the only factor I guess.

I realize that you intend on becoming a service technician for your own regs, however what are you going to do in the meantime? Anyone can service apeks, but the scubapro need the special tools and parts, and their equivalent to an apeks is alot more expensive. I dive apeks and have never had any problems with them at a reasonable depth(110'). Scubapro's are good too but they are hard to get serviced without an authorized dealer near by and I have heard that their performance in cold water is not as good as apeks.

sphengolly once bubbled...

I am leaning towards the Apeks ATX50/ATX40 combo. If, as you say, the complexity is equivalent, then price is the only factor I guess.

You just can't get much simpler than a Mk2. A diaphram 1st is definately more complex with a balance piston design between the two. But the difference in complexity should not make any difference in the ability of someone with reasonable mechanicl aptitude to service them. You will probably spend more time and effort on the diaphram first but the end result should be the same. And after the first time, it may even seem pretty easy. Your Apeks combo looks like a good choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom