Need help on my upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I now use a 40" hose and bungeed backup, I find @rslinger overstates his case against the case against the air2, from my experience using the device. Dealing with an OOA diver can be a clusterf**k, but it is usually due to lack of practice and not knowing and maintaining your gear. As a matter of fact, one of my buddys dives a BP/W with an air2 without issue.

The reason I changed configuration is that I'm old and can fall on the rocky beaches of NorCal, and I can access the bungeed backup without hands should I face plant into a tide pool and have problems getting up. I haven't needed it yet, but have gone down on occasion.

Bob

"lack of practice" is key here, and I'd imagine way more don't than do. I think the "other way" is just simpler all round. But of course each to their own.

"lack of practice" is key here, and I'd imagine way more don't than do. I think the "other way" is just simpler all round. But of course each to their own.

When Air 2s came out the primary BC is use was jacket style. Most jacket style BCs have a shoulder dump of one kind or another. At least the two I used to own did. So one does not need to remove the Air2 from their mouth to vent if they have this kind of BC. I am not sure about back inflates but don't many have the combo elbow / dump valve? I know my Express Tech does.

Two dump valves are more than enough.
Dump valve will fail for various reasons eg. cord, gasket and spring.

Two dump valves are more than enough.
Dump valve will fail for various reasons eg. cord, gasket and spring.

A standard wing usually only has one dump valve plus the inflator, although some use a combination elbow inflator. A jacket BC usually has one dump valve on the shoulder opposite of the inflator and one on the back of the BC. I am sure some have more.

If a diver practices good after dive maintenance and and inspects the valves and the inflator every so often, the risk of failure is low. Also I have seen complete dump valves being sold for $10 US, at that price put one (or two) in a save-a-dive kit for cheap insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom