which reg !?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much like others, I have the APEKS 50/40

If I remember correctly, the t-40 is the same as the T-20 except for a heat sink in the valve assembly. I've heard rumours that you can upgrade it by adding said part - but I dunaknow!

So you should have a good reg!

The mk 25 is an upgrade of the mk 20. The mk 20 uses shims to adjust the IP the mk 25 does not. The 600 is an easy breathing reg and is light weight. You might also look at the 550. The G250 is a larger reg and also breathes very easily. It weighs more, but is a work-horse. Hope this helps

Robert:doctor:

Trigger, your TX 20 is an "entry level" regulator. This does not imply that there is any missing quality or air delivery performance. It has typical Apeks quality and includes a sophisticated balanced demand valve with flow control vane or "Venturi". Apeks saved a few bucks on production cost by eliminating the spring tension control knob. Don't worry about it. Some experienced divers don't like that feature anyway.

Sam,

I like the Apeks regs for their reliability and awesome performance as well as their sealed first stages. They are often used by very extreme divers and have a history of reliability. My preference is the DS4 first stage with any of the second stages. At DiveINN, you can get the DS4/TX50 which is what I would recommend.

Good luck.

Mike

PS. Of the two you mentioned, I would get the Scuba Pro. I would get an Apeks over either any day of the week.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate all of your suggestions, even though I am essentially starting my search all over again.

Most helpful, I appreciate the post pointing out that Leisure Pro is just a short subway ride away from my apartment. I had known about the Leisure Pro web site, but did not focus on it initially because it is very difficult to browse (a little constructive criticism there, if anyone from Leisure Pro is reading this!). I am rediscoverying it, now that I have specific brands/models to search. Silly me, I never even noticed they are here in NY and have a show room just off 5th Avenue. I am heading there this weekend!

Thanks again! But, please if you have any other helpful suggestions, keep them coming!!

-Sam W.

Swoodly, the S600 differs from the sister S550 in that the more expensive S600 incorporates a breathing control knob and "anti set". This knob adjusts the spring tension on the downstream poppet valve to provide for easier or "hard" breathing. This feature is sometimes useful but not necessary. Both regs have "Viva", a venturi flow control lever. Both are air balanced. The S550 does not have "anti set" which automatically relieves tension on the poppet seat when unpressurized. The poppet is supposed to last longer with this feature.

The G250 is nearly identical to the S600 except for size. However, there is no sister, entry level reg to the G250. Alternately, in the lineup there is the R190, a very simple, traditional reg which incorporates the Viva control vane. It is not balanced but the average diver would not be able to discern a difference in breathing. This could be shown by sensitive testing however.

I hope this answers your question concerning differences between the SP second stages. I would advise buying the piston MK25 first since it will be easier to resell. Market familiarity.

If you go with Genesis definitely upgrade to the 2000. This is a good, tough reg that doesn't require a lot of attention. Have you considered a Zeagle? They used to be with Apeks but have gone their own way. They have tweaked and improved their regs plus they're made right here in the good old USA. Their current flathead model exceeds the USN requirements for 198' at 300'. Check out their website at zeagle.com
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom