I NEED (want) a non corrosive dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THellURider

Reaction score
I'm tired of dealing with this BS rusting after its been out of the water for 30 seconds. Here's what I want in a dive knife:

-non corrosive material (titanium etc)
-3.5" blade or less
-easily attached to BC
-rope cutter
-semi-serrated/serrated edge

I have no real preference to tip type. A thicker tip like a tanto or semi tanto would be good, just something that doesn't get real thin at the tip so I wouldn't have to worry about breaking the tip.

Oh, if it was somewhat sharp that would be nice too.....most dives knives I've looked at are pretty pathetic in the dept.

Thanks for the help.

THellURider:
I'm tired of dealing with this BS rusting after its been out of the water for 30 seconds. Here's what I want in a dive knife:

-3.5" blade or less
-easily attached to BC
-rope cutter

I have no real preference to tip type. A thicker tip like a tanto or semi tanto would be good, just something that doesn't get real thin at the tip so I wouldn't have to worry about breaking the tip.

Oh, if it was somewhat sharp that would be nice too.....most dives knives I've looked at are pretty pathetic in the dept.

Thanks for the help.

The Age Old question for the dive Knife... Stainless Steel usally doesn't hold an Edge without high carbon steel. The Carbon steel is the part that rusts. I do have a Titanium knife but it is soft. Usally true with that metal. If I need a blade that has to hold the edge (cutting lines out of Tugboat wheels) I will use a high carbon steel blade and clean/oil the knife right out of the water. The Titanium blade to take every day diving. Shears are great too. It just depends on what is in Your dive area/site...

Not sure what exactly you are expecting. There are some trade offs to some of the things you want. A serrated blade cannot be easily sharpened by you at home. Some titanium alloys and other alloys are poor metals for building a blade. They tend not to hold an edge and are difficult to sharpen.

I use a SP k5 knife with a 4 1/2 inch blade. While this measurement seems to be a bit more than what you requested, it seems to have a much better feel in my hand than some of the mini knives stamped out of plate that lack a 3 dimensional handle.
The k5 had a sheath that can be zip tied to a BC strap and it locks the knife in place so it won't likely fall out. It has a rope notch (thats actually has a radius large enough to cut rope) and a serrated back side. However this knife has a smooth cutting surface that can easily be sharpened on a stone and steel. I am pretty neglectful when it comes to making sure my knife is cleaned after a dive but as of yet I have seen absolutely no corrosion. The blade is stainless steel. Honestly, after honing it on my diamond stone and my other stone and running the steel over it, it was never quite as sharp as my Buck knife I use for all non-diving activities.
So while I don't think that this blade is the best blade, it sure seems to get the job done. If you don't like the k5, maybe the k3 would work for you, it has all the stuff you wanted and a corrosion free blade, but just isn't my favorite with the "techie" look to it.

THellURider

I too am looking for such a knife but having a cutting edge and prying tip isn't that easy to find, furthermore you only want a blade that's 3.5" or less... tall order.

There are 2 knives that may suit your needs the Fusilier Dive Knife 4" blade overall length 8.5" and the Deep Sea Ti Squeeze lock 3" Blade Overall length 6.5".

If you are looking for cheap, the get yourself a victorinox Rabit knife and blunt the tip or a steak knife.

Cheers

SangP

THellURider:

-3.5" blade or less
-easily attached to BC
-rope cutter

Thanks for the help.
These are pretty sweet:

http://www.uwkinetics.com/CategoryDisplay_cgmenbr=91&cgrfnbr=840.htm

There's one called Remora, 'bout halfway down, sounds like what you want. It's not titanium, but its a non-corrosive alloy. Another option is all the way at the bottom, I use it in the ocean, it works great (rinse, drip dry, WD-40).

Good luck.

I'll vouch for the Remora as well. I have always taken it apart when I get home and cleaned & oiled it while I am rinsing and cleaning the rest of my gear.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think the Fusilier from Underwater Kinetics sounds like what I want. It's basically a Remora with a rope cutter. I think this knife will cover 99% my needs. Guess I'll just start keeping a little bottle of Corrosion X with me, unless, this Hydralloy does indeed, not rust.

The Remora is a great knife - no rust and I dive with it all the time. It is such a perfect little knife that I feel kinda bad about not taking better care of it. Another burden I shoulder...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom