I need your advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happyfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I am a newbie who has started doing some research on equipment and what to buy, and I have to say that all the advice and the people on this board are great. This thread is neither meant to inflame or offend, I just have a few questions and would like some advice (and hope I don't sound too stupid)...

I have been looking at the prices of stuff off a RRP price list from my LDS, online, and from dive stores in other countries who will ship or you can mail order/online order from etc.

What I have found is that I can get regs / computers / BCD's etc for a substantial amount cheaper at everywhere else, not just online but from actual stores overseas. When I say cheaper I am talking over a thousand dollars for a reg/computer combo (NZ$). Plus some of the models are not yet even available in NZ e.g. Apeks ATX200 or ATX40, ATX50 octopus.

The thing is I really like the guys at my LDS, and would love to buy from them and support them etc, and would be willing to pay more for the service they provide, but I am still a student and it would be cheaper for me to fly overseas, buy the gear and then fly back (perhaps getting a dive or two in while I was there).

The questions that I have are really in regards to warranties and servicing etc. Is it bad karma to buy gear at a LDS overseas and get it serviced (paying for it obviously) at my LDS. How does the warranty work if you buy from a store in one country then move to another. Help me out...

Thanks in advance

Shaneel
:confused:

If these items are not available locally, will your LDS be able to get the parts to service them? Or will you have to ship them off for service. IMHO, don't buy anything your LDS can't service.

I did and I won't do it again.

Good Luck!
Jarhead

Jarhead,

My LDS sells Apeks, but those models above have not arrived in NZ yet. I am pretty sure they should be able to service them, but I'd make sure if I got the stuff from overseas that they could service it.

Shaneel

IMHO, the best thing about establishing a good relationship with the LDS ( this usually means buying stuff ) is that in case of a problem that takes a while to resolve, e.g. repair by manufacturer, most LDS will loan you stuff while waiting. This has happened so far twice to me- once for a computor which was returned for service ( the LDS loaned me one for the interim ) and again for a wet suit.
Question- have you asked your LDS for a package price? Or are you assuming the list prices are the final offer?

I'd expect that if your LDS carries the Apeks range they will carry these newer models soon. If they are an approved Apeks dealer the warranty should hold good but ultimately you can only check this by looking at the terms of the warranty.

As for the cost I don't mind paying something of a premium to my LDS provided I get the extra service. There comes a point when the saving is too great to ignore. This is your judgement call when deciding whether or not to buy online.

The other point to check is whether, if you buy online, you have to pay import duty and/or some local sales tax (like VAT in the UK)when you bring the goods into New Zealand. This may explain some of the price differential.

Make sure you're comparing apples with apples.

Regards

Hi Shaneel,
i am in the same sort of position here in sydney where the RRP is astronomical when compared to places like Seaquip.com.au in Perth and DiveInn. I also dont have wads of cash to just hand over for gear. I do want to buy quality gear and not junk. so the dilemma is thus: buy what u dont want from your LDS to keep them in business and happy, or go overseas and get what u want.
the choice then is simple - do what is best for u and suits u better. this is the 21st century and people shop around for the best price, its the way things are. its a global village now. also the state of the NZ$ means u get less for it.
Karma schwarma, just be a good person, give up yr seat to the elderly, dont litter and yule be fine.
with repect to warranty, as long as u get your reg from an authorised dealer and register yr warranty, then it should be valid.
if u want to avoid being vilified at your LDS, just tell them your reg was a gift from your rich uncle in Paekakariki. they'll get over it.
cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom