I panicked, lived, and learned...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Experiencing the panic cycle isn't really something that *can* be put in a class. You can teach all *about* it, but you can't put someone in a situation where they may fear for their life. You're taught how to recognize it and deal with it, but experiencing it is never planned.

One of the best learning experiences I think I've had was a dive on which I ended up having to take impending panic by the throat, shove it back down, and work through the situation. Before that, I knew all about the panic cycle and how I'm *supposed* to deal with it, but once I experienced it and successfully dealt with it, I suddenly understood both myself and the training far, far better than I had before. Additionally, now that I know the feelings, I can recognize them earlier and cut off panic, possibly far before it ever gets so near.

Having been there and fought panic, you're far more prepared than many who have never had a bad dive. Enjoy it; you've certainly earned it. :biggrin:

Ya did good! I've talked myself down a couple times in the past when vertigo strikes...I know exactly how you felt!

As for the Sea Tiger - it is very, very, very rare for there to be a current there. Very rare. When the dive op diver went down for the mooring line he should have informed everyone that there was a current. Were you informed? Would it have made a difference to you?

I hope you didn't do the dive because you felt pressured to do so.....If you come back again, do some shallow dives first, get used to the water and then if you feel comfortable dive the Sea Tiger again. It's an awesome dive!

Fishdelasol,

Glad you kept your cool. Keep on diving but go at your pace, what you feel comfortable with. On a dive vaction we have to deal with many new factors; strange equipment, strange dive sites, strange divers. There is no use of saying who is to blame, who was at fault. Remember what you learned in your OW class and skills thought. If you feel uncomfortable, tell the DM. (before you enter the water). If still uncomfortable, call the dive; no problem.

We always take all our own equipment except tank and weights. I know I maintain mine properly and know how to operate my computer, etc. Lots of people think we are crazy to drag all the equipment with us, but hey, peace of mind is priceless.

lol

this has Alex written all over it. maybe not...

May I be frank? Most dive operators in Hawaii are not functioning at a level where you should be listening to them in the first place. If you can afford to fly here and stay in a hotel on vacation, you should at least be open to the fact that MAYBE you should never be led on a trust me, by any *operator* anywhere in the world.

Some are excellent, but most are not. Always assume you are the best judge of your ability, honestly, trust me on that.

Very admirable/inspiring. It's great that you were able to learn from and deal with such a situation. I myself and glad to have read your story, because I am not the most experienced diver, and I will now know to look out for what you have gone through.

Good luck in your future diving!

Okay, Alex just said that it was a unanimous decision, four divers who all voted to go to the Sea Tiger because it had rained heavily Wednesday and the viz shallow was poor. He says the OP requested this and that she had not dived in three years. he says he cannot tell certed divers that they cannot do a 100 ft dive because they do not look "fit enough".

Seriously, I think if you have not dived in three years and are not in very good condition physically, you need to assume some of the responsibilty IF you were voting for this option. (he claims he left it to the group of four divers to make the call)

I don't mean to sound arrogant, I have had my share of failures getting lured up the black diamond slope and crying the whole way down, cursing everybody in sight.

Just this weekend, I failed on a hill on my bike riding with cyclists 20 years younger and taking on a 20% grade to the point that I fell off my bike. It was not pretty, probably not deadly though.

Seriously, this operator has been nailed for telling people he does not think they *look* up to the challenge of doing three dives....you are certed diver, not an intro, you have to be accountable to yourself not him.

Because "he" will be somebody different all over the world and it is not a good plan to stay alive.

Hawaiian waters can be serious stuff...not the bath tub of the Caribbean, etc.
My pet peeve is people who do not have the endurance to hump their tanks hopping into current and big seas. I'm no superstar, I know my limits and have looked like a wuss many times. A wuss with a brain, alive after 35 years of diving, often solo. I have told Alex to *forget it* a few times in eight years.
Having said that, he is a pretty good operator, relatively speaking.

Always follow your gut.

I'm pretty sure his web site says that three tank day is "grueling" if you are not very fit.

(how old are you? what do you weigh, how frequent do you exercise?)...these things matter.

Molokini and cathedrals is not too hard, whoever asked about that.
The back wall would depend on conditions, but wife will be peachy on the inside.

He says the OP requested this and that she had not dived in three years. he says he cannot tell certed divers that they cannot do a 100 ft dive because they do not look "fit enough".

Catherine, Is he sure he has the correct trip in mind? She has stated she was just certed in October. Her profile also says she has been certed less than a year. With this in mind, I can't imagine she would ask to go on a 100' dive. :ne_nau:

Just this weekend, I failed on a hill on my bike riding with cyclists 20 years younger and taking on a 20% grade to the point that I fell off my bike. It was not pretty.
Hence the smiley named after her. :catherine:

There was a boat I was on a couple of times, (I won't name names - but not AAA) and the Captain was berating one of the divers because they were overweighted. Berating is probably an exaggeration, but not by much.

I stepped up in defense of the diver, explaining that they were new and were finding their way. There is a way to talk to people about this. Humiliating them in front of others is probably not that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom