I really want to learn to scuba, but I smoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what I thought, as an avowed warm water rash vest diver, until after a dive at Silfra last month when I had to slog up a 400m icy path post-dive in a dry suit with all the trimmings (including 16Kg of lead). And I haven't smoked for 20 years now!
That's where the "demanding " part comes in. I learned to dive in Cape Town with 8mm suits, big steel tanks and weight belts for days. I'm so glad I get to do the rashvest thing exclusively now. 400m icy path? I'll settle for Netflix and a ciggie thanks :eyebrow:

I was taught to dive whr I was in the Royal Navy back in the early 80s (recreational, not Navy Diving).
Our instructor was a long service PO Clearance Diver, he never had a cigarette out of his mouth, I swear, if he could have worked out a way to do it he would have smoked under water.
My friend jokingly asked me if I would have a smoke filled tank as well.

It may give you a leg up on the competition to blow "air rings" underwater.

As others have said, you don't need to quit to be an effective recreational diver. YET: as an ex-smoker and a new diver, I would advise you to give up smoking, not only for a better experience diving, but for a better, healthier, longer life! I know how hard it is to quit, but you really don't want to get to the point where your body tells you to quit by either heart attack, stroke or worse.

Don't flick your butts overboard. Turtles live near the surface. Turtles will eat all sorts of plastic till it kills them - they go for clear/opaque plastic thinking it's jellyfish. I hate when I see divers on a boat do that then mention turtles they've seen on the dive - killing what they're there to see.

Many boats have a designated smoking area so ask.

That's where the "demanding " part comes in. I learned to dive in Cape Town with 8mm suits, big steel tanks and weight belts for days. I'm so glad I get to do the rashvest thing exclusively now. 400m icy path? I'll settle for Netflix and a ciggie thanks :eyebrow:

I am a smoker as well and just was a recently certified. The worst part I have found thus far is doing shore dives in Laguna Beach where you have to march down about 56 steps in a 7 mil full suit and all your donned gear. Ok, that hike down to the beach isn't all that bad however the hike back up and to wherever you found to park (more than likely uphill from the top of the beach steps) water-logged with 28 lbs of weight can be very painful.

Ok the other is that I have not seen a dive boat that is local that allows smoking. it is not that big of a deal as I am focused on my gear, procedures and breath control (I meditate on the way to a dive site and in-between dives) It would be nice to have a smoke between the dives to help me relax but in 4 boat dives I have been on it has not been a big deal.

You could do what I did. I used getting scuba certified as an excuse to give up a 30 year smoking habit.

The only boats I've seen that allow smoking were diesels with steel decks.

Aren't smaller boats gasoline? If someone lit up on my boat they'd get thrown overboard. Regular boats burn very nicely.

You could use scuba as an excuse to fire up that stogie, grab some sippin' tequila, waddle over to the palapa, and tell us about your last dive. I'll buy the next round & welcome to the club. :cheers:

That's what I thought, as an avowed warm water rash vest diver, until after a dive at Silfra last month when I had to slog up a 400m icy path post-dive in a dry suit with all the trimmings (including 16Kg of lead). And I haven't smoked for 20 years now!

I dove Silfra on Jan. 4 with a guy from the UK Was that you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom