I Still Get Nightmares!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have decided some time ago that if I see something that is clearly against my better judgment, I will approach the diver (or possibly the instructor) and state my case. This would pertain only to witnessing things that I feel are truly dangerous. I have decided that it is better for people to consider me a nosey know-it-all diver (or worse) than to witness another fatal or crippling dive accident. I will do this even when I am just a normal paying customer on a charter boat for example. At the very least, I will feel better if the guy doesn't survive the dive.

In one situation, i was working as a dive master and a diver was preparing to use way too much lead. I casually approached him and made a few inquiries and made some suggestions. He was unconvinced. I made an additional attempt a few minutes later and even spoke with his buddy, all to no avail.

Rather than turn the situation ugly, I went to the capt. and explained the situation. I told him that I was hearby refusing to dive with the clown, unless he dropped a good 10 lbs from his belt (he was using like 22 lbs in a bathing suit and he was not fat). Thankfully, the capt got him to drop the weight down to 12 lbs and we had a pleasant dive, although he was still overweighted. I think he went to 8 lbs for the second dive.

I certainly don't blame the original poster for not directly questioning the 7 mm suit, but someone should have. Being significantly over-heated underwater is very uncomfortable and gives me feelings of claustrophobia.

Vayu:
I had a similar experience diving in my AOW. Just be happy we are alive. Like me, this dive will probably teach you more in the longrun than your entire training to date. Now you can start working to avoid situations like this before they start.

I am with you on that. I look back now and am very happy nothing happened on some of my dives but I sure learned a heck of a lot.

Hey Marco
I grew up in Lauderdale/50's-70's.
Lotsa 1st/2nd reef dives/Baha's/Big Pine etc.
Broward was the second NAUI outpost(Dive safety through education)

Who was this "older" diver who was just tagging along?(guy who "drowned")
Was he nagged into going by a friend desperate for a buddy?
He may not have dived for years and been totally out of shape.

Since no one mentioned this, I will: He could have been "offed" and the
murder made to look like an accident for the insurance money.
Or it could have been suicide. Again, who WAS this "stranger in town"
on the dive boat? Maybe there was a struggle...why "stranger's" buddy's
tank came loose from its "mooring".
Why couldn't the "buddy" find another buddy in his own class?
Coast Guard crew couldn't take a pulse? Not buying it.
Whole thing sounds suspect.
(If you know Lauderdale, you know this possible).
(It's WHY I moved to Texas coast!).(I live in Texas Ranger Land now, dude!)(My avatar photo was taken at Palm Harbor TEXAS last summer.)(12 miles north of north padre island)
Of course. it could have been a brain aneurism(under pressure)or allergic
reaction to something above or under water. At the risk of sounding
like an old "fuddy duddy", my Navy Master Diver instructors at diver's
training academy AND NAUI used to discourage night and cave diving
and only advocated non penetration wreck diving. I'm not an "extreme
sports" kinda person....but I'm alive to "DIVE ANOTHER DAY".
(hey...not a bad title, huh?)

Floridian by birth.
Texan by the grace of God!

Archangel:
. Of course, I am armchair quarterbacking, but QB'ing as a physician. The corpsman who asked if anyone could read a pulse is telling.

Actually Archangel, corpsman is your term, not the posters. Just by reading the post it sounds as if 2 cutters are close by but not actually on board the dive boat. I know that on the boarding parties, especially if it is a rescue, the rescue personel have cpr knowledge. Especially if they are a corpsman.

It sounds as if the instructor should have been nailed, if this was a class then the instructor failed miserably, dive operation failed miserably, boat captain, etc. Sounds like everyone that made it back was lucky to have survived.

Thanks for all the replies!

Let me clarify... First of all "I still get nightmares " is just the title. I am extremely strong mentally! I don't consider myself fearless. I like to educate myself especially on what may be deadly! I've replayed that entire trip over and over. I know of many things that should have been and now are different and correct.

This was my AOW class 2 yrs.ago and I in no way have I let this incident stop me from diving. I have done multiple night dives since which I feel have been some of the best dives ever!

I mentioned the instructor should have had different color lightsticks or a stobe.I should have been more clear. I shoud have said a battery powered "blinking lightstick".

The diver who unfortunately drowned, was the buddy of the guy whose tank came loose and was also the gentleman who was donning the 7mm suit. I never really met or talked to either of them.I saw the the student's buddy for the first time on that boat the night of the dive. I was a student and did not question the other students buddies experience. I would like to hope the OP asked to see EVERYONE'S C-cards.

Yes, that was a most horrible night but many lessons were learned and will NEVER be forgotten. It most definately taught me more than any book!

If there are any other details that need to be clarified leave a post!!!

Thank you for your time and replies! Marc

Found this in the archives...Figured it's worth a read!
Compelling story!

Marco...I think we met on a charter on Parrot Island.
If so shoot me a PM! It was cool diving with you and thanks!
If not you... Thanks for the story!
KK

I remember reading this a couple of years ago. Worth the read again. Seems to be a theme with dead divers--buddies got separated and then who knows is most often the story.

Is that instructor still an instructor? He should have had his card pulled after that fiasco, especially when someone died. His briefing was woefully inadequate, he didn't do a visual check on his students for proper equipment, he didn't help his students, what was this guy thinking? I always brief students to wait on the surface for me, no one descends faster than I do, whether using a rope, or a free descent, I hope that instructor is no longer teaching, that kind of thing is why everyone points the finger at the agencies. Marco, glad this tragedy has not kept you out of the water, or from night diving. Living this nightmare and remembering it has to be painful enough.

:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom