I think EVERY diver should know THIS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Boswell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What do YOU think every diver should know?

What skills do YOU think every diver should be able to perform?

1. That the only person responsible for you underwater is you.

2. Too many things to list.

1) Diving is going to cost you a lot more than you thought it would.
2) Good Buoyancy

1) You don't know everything and there's always room for improvement.

Trim
Non silting kicks
someone to call for information/help like a mentor
understand the information your computer is providing, and what it means to your current dive.

How not to run out of gas!!

The two most important things to remember are:

1) Never tell everything that you know.

Humility keeps you alive.

And the two corollaries that flow from that:

1. You don't know everything. If you think you do, you're in a very dangerous place.
2. You don't even know everything that you don't know. If you think you do, you're in a very dangerous place.

I think every diver should know:

1. How to plan a dive, including having a rational assessment of gas supply and proposed depths and times, and how that gas supply should be apportioned underwater.

2. How to use depth contours and natural features to get back to the boat, even if the guide is abducted by aliens.

3. How to do basic on-site repairs, like replacing an o-ring or a blown hose.

4. Something about the sea life where they are diving (it really enriches the dive).

5. How to communicate using hand signals, light signals, and written media, and when to use each.

I think every diver should be able to:

1. Go through a dive plan and an effective gear check before diving.

2. Arrest a descent before hitting the bottom, and without disturbing said bottom.

3. Move through a dive site without disturbing anything.

4. Stop, for as long as they want, without hanging onto anything or kneeling or standing on the bottom.

5. Control an ascent, and make stops without hanging onto anything.

6. Maintain situational awareness of depth, time, pressure and buddy whereabouts, even when mildly stressed.

7. Diagnose and effectively manage common malfunctions (leaking hoses or inflators, freeflows, mask fogging or leaking) without losing buoyancy control or situational awareness.

8. Be able to instigate an air-share and execute an air-sharing ascent with good buoyancy control.

9. Be able to deploy a surface marker buoy at depth, and control an ascent while remaining in contact with the line.

10. Be able to orally inflate their BC EASILY on the surface and at depth.

I'm sure I'd add skills if I spent too much time thinking about it, but I think this is a good basic list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom