I think I screwed up?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
On a recent dive trip, when I went to hook my 1st stage to the tank, the dust cap was not in place. I fear that I left it loose when I rinsed the day before. :droplet:

It's an Oceanic CDX, by the way, that has worked well since the recall and retrofit.

I'm mailing it to the my dive shop (no LDS here) anway, but what do you think I should expect...?

Oceanic told me that they furnish free parts for life, so I should only expect to pay for labor...?

Thanks, don

It should just be a strip, clean, lube and re-assemble.
It will be fine, no biggy. Shouldnt be too expensive, provided their hourly rate is OK.

Dave

You might have been able to get away with flushing the first stage with clean water, although I would have sent it to the shop too.

That was an occasional occurence during trips with my alma mater dive club. If that happened, we just disconnected the HP hose, connected to a tank, and gently opened the tank valve to blow out any water that got inside. After letting it flow for a short time to dry it out, connect the HP hose again and blow out any water in the LP side by purging the second stages and the BC hose.

We never had any problem with those flooded regulators, and that's even though we didn't service the regs every year.

Now if that was salt water that got inside, it's a completely different story. I think it will be fine if you just put it in fresh water for a while before doing the above, but I'd still bring it to a tech in that case.

happens about 10 times a year to our trinee kits.

this is only if it was dunked in fresh water when washing it.

What we do is disconnect oall the hoses. Put the first stage back on a bottle and blow it out. This gets all the moiture out of it.

Take the first stage and hoses and put them in a hot press for a week. Leave the hoses dangling so the moisture can run out of them.

We have never had a problem with them. Having said that they are only used in the pool most of the year and are serviced religiously every year.

If it was my personal reg, i'd pay the money and get it serviced.

Coems down to the question of , is you life worth risking for 100 dollars or whatever it'll cost.

Back
Top Bottom