I think I will...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
...use the whine and cheeze forum to blow off a little steam.

I found out yesterday that the plant is closing and everything is moving to Mexico. Well...not everything...the people just get booted...well...not all the people get booted...the incompetent execs that always do these things get to stay.

This is the third time I've been through this in 15 years. I'm only counting moves of manufacturing to Mexico. if I counted all the other re-organizations that resulted in moved or lost jobs the number would be much higher.

I always joke that the one thing that I will never have...no matter how much money I make, is a decent amount of vacation. I can't work anyplace long enough to accumulate any. LOL They don't stay in business long enough so after 15 years in the business I have the vacation of a new guy.

You may think it's strange that I'm worried about vacation at a time like this. Well, one never knows but each time this has happened I have been paid extra money to stick around and help get things up and running down there in armpit land..and...I have ended up with a better and higher paying job. So even though there is always a year or more of uncertainty involved I've always done ok.

But then there are the folks who work out on the line. In this case they will be out of work by January. Most have few skills, little education and , in this case, they are all older folks. In this group, people are going to loose houses, medical coverage that they need and of course there's the Christmas present of being tossed on your ear after the 20+ years that most of them have been there.

Boy could I tell a tale of incomtetence that lead to this but I suppose the story is always pretty much the same. The point is that the whole idea is to show a cost savings on paper to save some ones butt. A cost savings, by the way, that is seldom realized in the long run. While labor is cheaper in Mexico the fact is that the labor content of the products is just too small a part of the total cost to make it a big deal.

Also, from my vast experience with manufacturing in Maxico I can tell you that while people are cheaper it takes more of them to do the same job. They need technical people constantly traveling back and forth to support them because those people aren't about to take up residence in a border town (the armpit of the earth). They turn off complex equipment that they don't understand and sit a bunch of people down in it's place...ooops...there goes your labor savings.

In closing...if you think of it...say a little prayer for those I mentioned above who will have a hard time with this. Also say a prayer for the incompetent sons of Satan who have orchestrated this whole abomination.

Maybe I'll tell a little more of the tale later. The story of who's jobs are being saved and why is always one that's interesting.

You don't work for Kodak do you? They are closing a few plants around the world..

Are you losing your job or do you get to move to Mexico? Either way I'm sorry to hear it.. although you always have to look for the silver lining and I think there are some good caves in Mexico from what I've read..

TX101:
You don't work for Kodak do you? They are closing a few plants around the world..

Are you losing your job or do you get to move to Mexico? Either way I'm sorry to hear it.. although you always have to look for the silver lining and I think there are some good caves in Mexico from what I've read..

No. I don't work for Kodak. To be honest, I don't know who I work for. When I started there 5 years ago it was Siemens. then we were sold to an overseas investment group by the name of KKR (best known for raiding pension funds from what I hear) and they went back to using the Landis and Gyr name (it was L&G before it was purchased by Siemens). We were recently purchased by some other outfit who's name scapes me. They come and go so fast, who could keep track?

I'm one of those losing my job although they are going to offer me a severance and incentive package to stay until they're finished with me.

What that means is that I'm one of the ones who doesn't get a nickle if I leave before I have permission.

The only thing that Ross Perot ever said that made sense to me was his reference to NAFTA as "a great sucking sound from the south". You might have some of the people check on benefits that are available to people that lose their jobs due to NAFTA. My brother was able to go to school for almost a year on the government's tab and learned AutoCad and a few other skills that helped him get a new job. Just a thought, and my prayers are with them....

Firefyter:
The only thing that Ross Perot ever said that made sense to me was his reference to NAFTA as "a great sucking sound from the south". You might have some of the people check on benefits that are available to people that lose their jobs due to NAFTA. My brother was able to go to school for almost a year on the government's tab and learned AutoCad and a few other skills that helped him get a new job. Just a thought, and my prayers are with them....

We have a meeting with some people about that stuff thismorning.

MikeFerrara:
I'm one of those losing my job although they are going to offer me a severance and incentive package to stay until they're finished with me.

What that means is that I'm one of the ones who doesn't get a nickle if I leave before I have permission.

Well, that sucks.. but at least you are getting a package.

Hey, maybe you can use it to open a dive shop? (I keed!)

I'm kinda used to getting 'layed off' because I'm a contractor.. no holidays and usually only hang around each client for 6-12 months.. but you get more per day on average. Maybe you can try this route?

That really does suck. I've been on the outsourcing bubble here myself a couple of times and just managed to hang on so I understand the stress and frustration. Not to mention the joy of calling a tech help line where the person on the other end had about 1 week of English lessons before being assigned to deal with the US. But hey, they're soooo much cheaper. I really feel for you.

Sorry to hear about your plant closing. Another thing for which we can thank our Congress and politicians in general. Folks this one isn't Democratic or Republican no matter what each one says. It's just politics and all of those turkeys play the game. I don't trust any of them.

DennisW:
Sorry to hear about your plant closing. Another thing for which we can thank our Congress and politicians in general. Folks this one isn't Democratic or Republican no matter what each one says. It's just politics and all of those turkeys play the game. I don't trust any of them.

Well it doesn't help that so many of our companies are run by 30 year old MBA's who haven't ever worked a project from start to finish in their life.

Back
Top Bottom