I think I'm about done with Scubapro Regs...Looking for Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJMiami

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
To make a long story short, my gear is a 20 year old D400/M15, Classic BC with Air2. My equipment looks like new.

I dive about ~5-6 times a year in tropical waters (mostly South Florida and keys, and the Caribbean). I have also taken breaks, where I don't dive for a year or so due to lack of buddy.

I love Scubapro, and I never though I would ever consider something else. Yes, you can call me a Scubapro fanboy. When a newbie ask me what equipment to buy, the first word out my mouth is scubapro.

But Scubapro warranty, service policy, and bad service on my beloved D400 is making me rethink the whole thing. Servicing my D400 has been very hit/miss. I have tried several LDS and if I'm lucky my D400 will work great. Tuning this regulator seems like it requires the skills of a formula 1 mechanic. Can't take it anymore and I don't like depending on the LDS technicians (and my life is depending on them).

I'm a natural DIY, and now I'm looking at HOG/Dive Rite Regs. For me it would be a dream to perform my own service, and at the same time be supported by the manufacturer.

My goal is to have a reliable, reasonably performing regulator for warm waters (mostly up to 75-80 feet).

For my needs, what would you recommend? HOG / DR / or other?>

Folks seem to like HOG and folks can self serve. But you need have taken their reg service training though to officially get parts.

That said parts are available for many brands via a few online shops. I am diving Atomic and serving all of my regs. However, IMHO opinion doing your won servicing only makes sense if you have a number of regs. For a single reg or two I would just find a brand and shop you like. Even some mfg like Atomic will service your regs if you send them in.

Last edited:
I've been using a set of apeks xtx50's (with the DS4 1st stages) for years now and I love them. Plentiful parts, easy to service and if you ever decided to try some cold water diving you'd be ready to go :)

If you are a 'natural DIY' why don't you service your D400 yourself?

If you need the repair manual, pm me.

I don't think you will ever find a 2nd stage as good as the D- Serie ( some say the pilot 2nd should be better, but I cannot confirm that), at least the one with the metal crown-orifice.

And even the ones with the plastic orifices are much better concerning the breathing comfort than almost all others, especially if you do deeper dives.

The service is a bit different, but not really much more difficult.

You got one of the best regulators ever built, so rethink your plan or you might end up disappointed.

At least try the new regulator first in the water, I guess you will feel the difference.

OTOH it will be very easy to get rid of your old reg if you want to sell it.

Good luck.....

The D400 is probably one of the most advanced 2nd stages ever produced.

I would recommend:

1. Find a tech that doesn't suck, which in the end may have to be you.
2. Print out the 2nd post in this thread and give it to your tech.
3. Before paying for your service, make sure the reg is functioning properly by checking it against the inspection checklist stickied in this forum.

You do not need to have a tech diver rating to get parts for the HOG reg. But you do need one to take the service course. As often as you dive though I'd recommend an Edge. Little less money, performs just as well IMO, and there are a number of dealers you can send them to that can service them and do a good job. I have two on the bench now that a customer from the Denver area sent me to go over for him. But before you buy new regs I'd take the other people's advice and find a tech that knows what they are doing. We have few on this board who know SP regs just as well if not far better than many current shop techs.

I dove a Mares M12 Axis for 5 years without ever servicing it. If it passes inspection and IP lockup looks good, I'll take a chance.

with a lot of the tips given in this thread, you can probably just change your mindset and not your regs. But if you decide to change yor regs, you can probably get enough money for your used ScubaPros to pay for a set of Hog regulators.

Hog is so cheap that you could probably easily dive them well past 2 years and then just replace them for new ones and still save money if you don't want to service them.

He has a twenty year old regulator. He is having problems finding service and he does not want to do it himself for whatever reason. So, the solution is to recommend to him regulator brands that are barely a year old and which in another twenty years he will be back complaining that he cannot find service? Exactly how does this cure his problem. I doubt Hog or Edge will be around in another five, much less twenty or thirty years.

To the OP, you can cure your immediate need by purchasing a cheap, regulator, the likelihood of which you will not make twenty years out of it or learn to service your own gear and then it no longer really matter if you have a ScubaPro or a Aqua Lung or a Hog (or flavor of the month).

Go find a couple of nice B&C Conshelfs and be done with it. Easy to work on, easy to tune, easy to find parts for and bullet proof and dirt reliable and good performance as well. Twenty years is nothing to a Conshelf, they can go that long without even a single service or maybe, :wink:, once.

N

Nemrod,
Not sure where you are coming from and your comments are rude. I bought Scubapro, because I was looking for equipment that would last 20+ years. I have tried 3 different local LDS for service, two of them recommended here with supposedly good techs...I'm tired of not getting reliable service payed with hard earned $. Look at the forums, finding a good tech for D400 is a challenge.

I'm willing to do the service myself, and wasn't aware that repair manuals are available. I have PMed Axxel.

So, the solution is to recommend to him regulator brands that are barely a year old and which in another twenty years he will be back complaining that he cannot find service? Exactly how does this cure his problem. I doubt Hog or Edge will be around in another five, much less twenty or thirty years.

One year? You are mistaken, buddy. Edge / Hog was announced 5 years ago:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/edge-gear/233387-hello-edge.html

I know you like your old school stuff, but the reality is regulators haven't really changed a whole lot in a very long time. I view them as commodity items and I won't have any problem if I can't find service for them in 20 years time. For the price that I pay for them, I can just replace them at will. Many things in our life have gone in that direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom