I think I'm converted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaVP

Reaction score
Normal, IL USA (yes, that is a real city)
I think that i have finally come to the realization that you DIR folks do make a lot of sense when it comes to diving in general. I am looking at purchasing a Transpac II w/ Rec wings for my next BC. It appears that there is a sidemount D-Ring option that allows mounting a stage bottle. Any comments on this?

My fiance and I are now investigating some tek training agencies. Do any of you know of any good instructors in central Illinois? We would be willing to drive up to the Chicagoland area for classes/dives/etc.

I would say at this point we are interested in taking things slow, and from what I have read, we are leaning towards IANTD. The four courses we are interested in from IANTD are EANx, Deep, Advanced EANx, and technical. We most likely will not be penetrating wrecks...just gawking at them and hanging out for deco. stops.

I appreciate any help or suggestions!

Since I am an IANTD Advanced Nitrox instructor I recommend the class. However, you might also think about a DIRF class. I have three DIRF scheduled for this summer the first being the end of June. PM me if you want to talk more about it.

To quote Brian Chapman in Monty Python and the Holy Grail 'Run Away, Run Away, Run Away!'

I had the misfortune to own a Transpac II, and even though I have an amazing history of owning rubbish kit I have to rate the Transpac as my second worst mistake. It's a pain to adjust, pain to put on, the chest strap obstructed my breathing, it kept unclipping itself, once underwater when I had 1/2 an hour of stops left to do, and I could never get it to sit 'straight' on me...

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to buy a steel or aluminium (or aluminum depending on where you come from) backplate and make up a webbing harness. It'll cost you far less than the TP and be much more comfortable.

As ever YMMV.

Safe Diving,

Chris

Wow! I didn't realize that the Transpac was THAT bad! The reason I was looking at it was for the additional lumbar and lower back support. How does a traditional BP feel in comparison? Does it "dig" into you? Is the Dive Rite backplate worth looking at? Thanks for the info!

I have extreme views on the TPII, mainly because it conspired to ruin an expensive dive weekend for me.

There is no comparison in comfort between the Backplate and the Transpac. Whatever happens, DO NOT compare them in a shop/out of the water/in street clothes. The Backplate will lose every time. In the water however, the roles are very much reversed. I've never felt the BP dig in, even when having a splash in the pool wearing a t-shirt and trunks.

The proof of the pudding is, as ever in the eating. I know of at least 20 people who have changed from BCDs or softpack wings to Steel Backplates, and I don't know anybody who's gone the other way...

Chris

ScubaVP wrote...
The reason I was looking at it was for the additional lumbar and lower back support. How does a traditional BP feel in comparison? Does it "dig" into you?
Unless you have a diagnosed lumbar condition, I wouldn't think it would be any problem. While I deeply appreciate the lumbar support in my car for long drives, I haven't noticed any problems at all with my BP in whatever configuration...even when wearing doubled 104s, which weigh roughly 100lbs.

I've had no problems with "digging".

Go with the bp/harness/wing set up.

Also, and I don't know for sure, cuz I don't know what the diving is like up there, but I would think that it would be difficult to do a tech course without going to a coast with some deep water.

Taking a DIRF course is a good idea (someone mentioned it above) and also GUE is another training agency that has tech courses (and a good excuse to take a vacation in Florida)

Wendy once bubbled...

Also, and I don't know for sure, cuz I don't know what the diving is like up there, but I would think that it would be difficult to do a tech course without going to a coast with some deep water.

Taking a DIRF course is a good idea (someone mentioned it above) and also GUE is another training agency that has tech courses (and a good excuse to take a vacation in Florida)

I think we will be fine for our tek training, as we are only 2 hours from a VERY large and deep body of fresh water (Lake Michigan). Thanks for the thoughts, though. I am out surfing the Halcyon website right now!

Wendy once bubbled...

We have plenty of deep water. I think you can hit 1300 ft or so in the Great Lakes. For shallow stuff we have a 355 ft deep quarry. LOL

ScubaVP once bubbled...
Wow! I didn't realize that the Transpac was THAT bad! The reason I was looking at it was for the additional lumbar and lower back support. How does a traditional BP feel in comparison? Does it "dig" into you? Is the Dive Rite backplate worth looking at? Thanks for the info!

it is alot different in the water than out. The lumbar support is not needed as much underwater because your in a horizontal position and not in a vertical position. As far as a plate is concerned, I have no experience with the DiveRite plates except what I've seen in my LDS. Compared to my Halcyon plate the DiveRite does not look to be as good of quality. FredT also makes an excellent plate as well as others out there. I would shop around a bit and do some research before I made a final decision.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom