I thought it a gimmick AIRLOCK by MARES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BetterLateThannever

As a PADI Instructor, I have seen the practice of wetting the tank strap covered in the video. Since the majority of the training equipment as well as my personal BC is Scubapro, we don't have to worry about wetting the tank strap. The cam lock buckle and the rubber strip inside the tank strap always keep the tank nice and snug. As for the confined water portion covering the wetting practice, where would I find it?

Thanks, Ken

what happens to your tank should the "airlock" fail?

IMNSHO the 'airlock' is a fix to a non-problem. sorta like
"self purging snorkels" and quick-release fin straps ;-)

if a person is too weak (or careless) to properly adjust and tighten a cam band, that person should not dive. of course, years ago the bands were metal and not very flexible but once clamped down it was tight (and required no water)

Green Man, I know what you are thinking, but I believe that the air-lock just uses air pressure to lock the cam. After it's locked, I'm pretty sure there is no air left to leak.

correct
the AIRLOCK after the LP hose is used to tighten the strap becomes a ratcheded mechanical holding device until you release the lever.
If the Airlock fails you can still attach a cylinder by manually adjusting the strap.

If I may call you Ken.

As to your question; I don't know where you would find it in your confined water dive...I was referring to mine.

In the class I took, the first confined water dive, the wetting of the tank strap was demonstrated as one of the gear assembly steps.

This may have been more "instructor" than PADI, I just took it for granted since, as I said earlier, it was also demonstrated on the PADI video.

Don't misunderstand..I am not knocking PADI, I happen to agree with the practice. Like I said..better safe than sorry. It certainly doesn't hurt anything to wet the strap first.

Jimbo:)

Warhammer & Fishkiller...

You're correct. The submarine manuever is rising to the surface floating on your back, just like you were lazing around in the pool on an air matress. To bad I can't toss my Ray-Bans over my mask to complete the visual effect.

Still may try it next boat trip if conditions may allow. Heck, I was just super pleased with the performace of my gear.

I remember wetting down the strap in my PADI class too. But kinda funny that ever since, I've never done it. Kinda embarrased that I've also forgotten the Buddy check acronym :) and had a brain fart on how to work the dive tables after flipping over to table 3.

Oh, well...diving hasn't killed me yet. My bank account yes, but me, still finning!

Is this airlock standard on all Mares BC's...??? Im considering the top-of-the-line Synchro Power Tech BC, so I will assume it will be included, or...?

so a question on that air lock. How does it release? Is Air the only thing holding it together?

Just seems scary to me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom