I told you it was all over. This is the proof.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not just the Carribean, the tourists flood the cities of SE Alaska. It's the same story, the cruise ship companies own the onshore bars, restaurants, T shirt shops and jewelers. The few businesses that are locally owned, proudly proclaim their status. They practically own downtown Skagway.

I'll be on it and part of the problem next year in September. :D

Booked the Oasis almost 2 years ago, can't wait.

Hi. Thought I would post this link to some very excellent pictures that takes you on a tour of the new cruise ship dock including the stores, transport center and a view of the Honduras mainland in the background. Click on each photo to advance the pictures.

http://johnheald.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mb-post-opening-presntation-compressed.pdf

It's a shame. I lived on Utila for a few months this year while getting my DMT, and I've been in contact with ppl still living there who say it's gone beyond downhill. *********s are everywhere, all the great places (Tree Tanic, Tranquillo, Mariposa, Coco Loco to name just a few) are empty now and the locals keep throwing all their trash and sewage directly into the bay. It's like they don't get it, their only economy is tourists and diving, they don't produce anything at all on the island, and diving the reefs is the only attraction there. But they don't seem to care or maybe just don't understand that when the tourists go (like they did after the govt went crazy this summer) their little island will dry up and blow away. Too bad, it was fun while it lasted, oh well, let's move on and destroy another paradise.

While I don't disagree with the trash problem, it's an ongoing problem small islands face when use exceeds the capacity of public services, isn't it interesting that it's only the 'locals' mentioned as throwing trash in the harbour? There doesn't seem to be any mention made of all those little plastic cups from those patrons at Tranquilla, Coco Loco etc that blow off & wind up on the seabed of the harbour?

Erin, 'its' a troll! Joined today, 1st post, nothing good to say. If their sources were accurate they'd be aware there's been a big increase in backpackers and tourists visiting since the elections and the advisories were lifted. Their last sentence sums it up!

Unbelievable, I think everyone should have to either wear skis or a snowboard, otherwise it just will not look right. Have we gotten so lazy, that we have to use a chair lift to cart us to the beach. These same people go to resorts and never leave. I want to throw my backpack in the back of an old beat up Jeep and go play. Maybe they could just build a fake beach on the dock. That would solve the problem....... and keep them out of our way :D

Underwater guy. I feel you are stereotyping the locals on the Utila slightly. Most have great respect for their island and take great care of it. Their recycling plant and program will be up and running soon and the kids are all better educated in environmental issues. Most of the trash you see has either been washed up from offshore or, as I have often witnessed, tourists leaving plastic bottles and cups lying around. Maybe we need a better education!

Also you describe the island over a few short months. Since the November elections the island is back to it's usual self. Backpackers are coming over in droves and you can feel a buzz around the place. Believe me, the owners of the bars you mentioned are smiling again!

Back
Top Bottom