I told you it was all over. This is the proof.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether or not the development and tourism boom hurts or helps the majority of the islanders can be disputed forever, it all depends on who is the one discussing the pro's and cons BUT whenever this typ of thing comes up I think of the story of the Mexican fisherman.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "only a little while."

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15 - 20 years."

"But what then?" Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!"

"Millions - then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

Don't you understand Net Doc,:coffee: if we can eliminate tourism, progress and improvement in the life style of the locals, they can be kept barefoot and saying Yesum Ms. Daisey where you want to be drove to:confused:--and we can have the diving all to ourselves.:crafty: Keep them yankees off the island,:rofl3: them spending there money there just drives the price up for the rest of us.:blinking:

Maybe you're being ironic, can't really tell.
But in case not, I personnally don't see how cruise ships are "progress and improvement".
AI resorts are bad enough… I mean, why would one travel to another country and stay among other tourists (usually from the same nationality), eat buffet food designed to not change too much from their usual fare and more often than not stay on the resort compound ? I don't understand it. The cruise ships even less so.
Maybe it's got all the luxuries, but it's still a jail on the water.

, eat buffet food designed to not change too much from their usual fare
My favorite part of traveling is to eat something I have never had before. I usually just ask the waiter/waitress for their favorite meal. It can get dicey when my language skills are not up to the task, but I often succeed.

But reading this thread makes the place sound hostile and uninviting. If that's the purpose: GOOD JOB! Lots of divers read this and very few cruisers do. You're stacking the deck in favor of the cruisers. Again, that might just be the intended thrust of this thread.

My favorite part of traveling is to eat something I have never had before. I usually just ask the waiter/waitress for their favorite meal. It can get dicey when my language skills are not up to the task, but I often succeed..
Have you tried Roatan Iguana, Turtle, The delicious barracuda or fried hog? I know most folks around my area get really jazzed abbout these types of things but I don't think there would be a lot of luck asking for it at a restaurant

I'm sorry. I didn't read the old posts and I didn't mean to Cry Havoc or Loose the Dogs of War. When bringing this old thread back I was just trying to provide general information about the island. My comments about the end being near and the coffin nail were just for perspective. I don't have any position on development, isolation, protectionism, apple pie, or world peace. "You can call home and ask my wife."

Have you tried Roatan Iguana, Turtle, The delicious barracuda or fried hog? I know most folks around my area get really jazzed abbout these types of things but I don't think there would be a lot of luck asking for it at a restaurant
I haven't been to Roatan, and feel that it's a lost hope at this point. I have had all of those items though... just not in Roatan. I had Iguana twice in Bonaire, several different types of turtle as a kid (cooter (slider), gopher & some kind of sea turtle), barracuda was not that good (unless blackened) and hog or hog fish is almost always sublime.

I haven't been to Roatan, .............. and hog or hog fish is almost always sublime.

Unless you have experienced a Roatan style Hog fry then you just have no idea. Kinda like Jimmy Buffet once said "Don’t try to describe a kiss concert if you’ve never seen it"

Check out the prep but beware, It is probably NOT PETA Friendly

Pig Slaughter Roatan - a set on Flickr

Unless you have experienced a Roatan style Hog fry then you just have no idea. Kinda like Jimmy Buffet once said "Don’t try to describe a kiss concert if you’ve never seen it"

Check out the prep but beware, It is probably NOT PETA Friendly

Pig Slaughter Roatan - a set on Flickr

Never done it on Roatan, but we've done this in South Louisiana since I was a child. It is called a Cajun Boucherie. Have made Cajun Gumbo in Roatan and it was well recieved by the Islanders we served at their home. Very similar to the Lova Feast we participated in on the island of Taveuni, Fiji.

I have been to all sorts of slaughter houses... that was pretty tame compared to some of the wholesale slaughter I have seen.

Whether or not the development and tourism boom hurts or helps the majority of the islanders can be disputed forever, it all depends on who is the one discussing the pro's and cons BUT whenever this typ of thing comes up I think of the story of the Mexican fisherman.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "only a little while."

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15 - 20 years."

"But what then?" Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!"

"Millions - then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

LOVE the story. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom