I Use no air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen 80s in 2400+, 2730+, 3442 and 3500. I think Faber made a 3180+ as well, but I'm not certain. Sounds like he might have had a 2730+ tank.

Probably not the case, but since no one else said anything. Do you always dive with your own gear? Or more directly, have you confirmed this on more than one SPG? Would hate to have a broken guage then have an OOA.

Congrats on a having a great sac rate.

Keep working on skills, a good sac rate does not equal a good diver. It is a gift in one tiny aspect of diving. Work and practice make a good diver. Enjoy:cool2:

I hate you. You and the kid who founded Facebook.
Young punks

OOPS! Was that my outside voice? Just kidding :wink:

OK really....just a few things. First, as stated several times already, just make sure you breath and are not underventilated. The fact that at 15 you care enough to ask questions and learn about what you are doing and why is awesome! Just one minor last point...try not to think of your dives as being cut short. They are not. They are perfect if your team (you and your buddies) come up happy and safe. Remember having more gas then you need is good, needing more gas then you have is bad.

Probably not the case, but since no one else said anything. Do you always dive with your own gear? Or more directly, have you confirmed this on more than one SPG? Would hate to have a broken guage then have an OOA.

Congrats on a having a great sac rate.

I always dive with my own gear...I saved up 1500 dollars my Freshman summer to pay for certification and gear:D That was a lot of cars...haha

And for my brain size? Well I'm happy with it :D 4.7 in school isn't too shabby :D

Well a lot also has to do with how deep you were for that 40min. I also am pretty good on air. I am 28 and when we do our dives I typically will use 1 tank for 2 dives (Depending on Dives) and everyone else use's 2 dives.

I dive with a Steel 100, But my logs even with an Al 80 are comparable

My Last Dive water temp was 67F
Max depth 20 AVerage 18.2
BT was 50 Min
Started with 3100
Ended with 2266 SAC: .389

Another 2 dives same tank used

Water Temp was 52F
Max Depth 80.3
BT was 47
Starting pressure 3442
Ending pressure 1936 Sac was .423

Water Temp was 65F
Max Depth 51.9
BT was 53Min
Starting Pressure was 1916
Ending Pressure was 758
SAC was .371

And I am sure a lot of aothers have similiar most use little more air but a lot of depends on the Individual. i like you played Soccer for little Over ten years, Also Did Karate/Kick boxing and Boxing for 3 years but that was a long time ago and since then I do not play anything and have not for years. But I have owned a Pool my whole life an Just find myself very comfortable in the water. I have a natural nice easy breathing rate I would say.

my SAC (used calculator online) is 0.2287199480181936. This is wayyy below the average.

The data I put in was--all according to my dive log-- was 48ft depth, 38 min, 3000psi-2200psi, tank=s80
An S80 tank refers to an Aluminium 80. If you are using a high pressure steel 80 your calculations will be off. An aluminium 80 will have a capacity of 77.4 ft3 at the service pressure of 3000 psi. A Worthington (XS Scuba) high pressure steel will have a capacity of 81 ft3 at the service pressure of 3442 psi.

Assuming it is a Worthington HP Steel let's plug in your numbers into the formulas I gave you earlier to see what comes out:

Initial psi reading - Final psi reading = air consumed in psi units
3000-2200 = 800 psi

air consumed in psi units / 3442 = consumed fraction of your total tank capacity
800 psi / 3442 psi = .2324

consumed fraction of total tank capacity x 81 ft3 = air consumed in ft3 units
.2324 x 81 ft3 = 18.8262 ft3

air consumed in ft3 units / minutes between initial and final psi readings = ft3 of air consumed per minute
18.8262 ft3 / 38 mins = 0.4954 ft3 per minute at depth

(Average depth in ft between initial and final psi readings / 33) + 1 = your diving depth in units of absolute atmospheres or ATAs
(48 ft / 33 ft per ATA) + 1 ATA = 2.4545 ATAs

ft3 of air consumed per minute / depth units in ATAs = SAC
0.4954 ft3 per minute at depth / 2.4545 ATA = 0.202 ft3 per min at surface level = SAC rate

You must be like the frogs that can breath through their skin.

...remember, the human brain consumes the most oxygen of any part of the body, so hopefully an unnaturally low gas consumption doesn't imply one's brain size..... :)

mrbeast1414, I may have missed it but I didn’t see anything about your size and build. A physically smaller individual with lower muscle mass will produce less CO2, which stimulates breathing rate. That is why, on average and pound for pound, that females usually burn less air than males. Metabolic differences come into play but many of them are related to muscle mass/CO2 production.

Being in good physical condition usually results in better circulatory efficiency, and lower blood CO2 levels. Being slender and having lucky body proportions can help your hydrodynamic efficiency as does a higher personal tolerance to cold. As to your comparison, just because a person is a diving instructor does not mean they are have good cardio-pulmonary conditioning. It does indicate that they probably are mentally comfortable in the water and have their gear dialed-in, but they will still usually burn a lot more a gas than a smaller individual with better cardio-pulmonary efficiency.

An S80 tank refers to an Aluminium 80. If you are using a high pressure steel 80 your calculations will be off. An aluminium 80 will have a capacity of 77.4 ft3 at the service pressure of 3000 psi. A Worthington (XS Scuba) high pressure steel will have a capacity of 81 ft3 at the service pressure of 3442 psi.

Assuming it is a Worthington HP Steel let's plug in your numbers into the formulas I gave you earlier to see what comes out:

Initial psi reading - Final psi reading = air consumed in psi units
3000-2200 = 800 psi

air consumed in psi units / 3442 = consumed fraction of your total tank capacity
800 psi / 3442 psi = .2324

consumed fraction of total tank capacity x 81 ft3 = air consumed in ft3 units
.2324 x 81 ft3 = 18.8262 ft3

air consumed in ft3 units / minutes between initial and final psi readings = ft3 of air consumed per minute
18.8262 ft3 / 38 mins = 0.4954 ft3 per minute at depth

(Average depth in ft between initial and final psi readings / 33) + 1 = your diving depth in units of absolute atmospheres or ATAs
(48 ft / 33 ft per ATA) + 1 ATA = 2.4545 ATAs

ft3 of air consumed per minute / depth units in ATAs = SAC
0.4954 ft3 per minute at depth / 2.4545 ATA = 0.202 ft3 per min at surface level = SAC rate

You must be like the frogs that can breath through their skin.
Unless its a steel 80 and he had it underfilled to the 3000 he specified.

Then the volume would be off - but his SAC woul dbe even lower:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom