I want a bloody of-the-rack! Wetsuit that is... Heeelp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dea

Reaction score
Finally decided to get a 7mm wetsuit.
But it proves to be a very hard task. It seems as if all the nice and inexpensive suits are made for some standard manikens.
I was under the impression that I had a standard figure (because its hourglass) but after shopping for a wetsuit I am starting to feel as if I am a unique freak of nature!

there does not seem to be anything for a 5'3 37/29/37.
the ones that come close are for much taller women (5'4-5'6), or are too big in the hips.
the closest one I found is 35/26/37 and I wonder if that brand (Bare) has enough stretch.
And how come by measurements I will not fit in 8/9/10 in wetsuit if I wear 6 in regular clothing? I am miffed!
I'm buying over the net, so can't try them on. But it is a lot less expensive that way and I don't want to spend much since most of my diving is drysuit.

Dear Dea:

You might want to consider Diversdiscount.com. They are a website with three physical stores somewhere in California.

I spoke with one of their sales reps regarding wetsuits for my wife and me. He told me that they have many off-the-rack, in stock, sizes for harder to fit individuals. He claimed that they can fit almost anyone.

I have dealt with this store before. Overall, I was reasonably pleased. I did have a problem which required a few phone calls to resolve, but it was resolved to my satisfaction.

In general, I will use them for non-life support items that my LDS doesn't stock. Their pricing is very competitive and they offer full manufacturers' warranties.

Good Luck

Originally posted by Dea

the closest one I found is 35/26/37 and I wonder if that brand (Bare) has enough stretch.
And how come by measurements I will not fit in 8/9/10 in wetsuit if I wear 6 in regular clothing? I am miffed!
I'm buying over the net, so can't try them on. But it is a lot less expensive that way and I don't want to spend much since most of my diving is drysuit.

Hi Dea,
I have had exellent luck with off the rack Bare suits!!! They do stretch.

Keep in mind that I am a guy. Maybe the guys suits are more forgiving than the womens. But, I am very picky about fit. If it didn't fit perfect I wasn't going to buy it!!

What I wanted to let you know is that LeisurePro has a 14 day satisfaction guarantee. They also have great prices on Bare suits.

You could try it on and if it didn't fit you could return or exchange. I have bought two wetsuits from them that fit great. My wife bought one suit and exchanged for the next size. they were quick about it too.

I recently returned drysuit undies that didn't fit. No problem!!

good luck, here is the link, http://www.leisurepro.com/

I have a full 3/2 mm suit from Bare. I didn't exactly match the measurements, and can say that it has some good stretch to it. Actually, I think I'm wearing that suit in my profile pic.:D

Dea,
I fear that the internet purchase could be a false economy. Wetsuits just have to be tried on. I have had great luck with Henderson's Hyperstretch. With shorter limbs, it may be necessary to have the arms & legs shortened, but that is still cheaper than a custom suit (mine was over $500; the Hyperstretch is a bit over $300). Perhaps once u own the suit, you will use it enough to make it pay off. An inexpensive suit that does not fit is no bargain.

Hi Dea,

I use a Henderson Hyperstretch also......it cost right around three hundred with tax. It is great, really comfortable and boy does it stretch. It allows for some weight fluctuations of up to 25 lbs. Check out their website to find a dealer near you.

Donna :D

Dea,

I am a not so easy size to fit, but have been able to wear a BARE off-the-rack women's wetsuit in a 7mm. There is a fairly good amount of stretch in their suits.

You probably don't have to worry so much about the height if you are within a few inches of the range listed. This probably applies to other dimensions as well, as long as you are within or close to the specifications on the others. As far as the sizing goes, the key is to try it on, and not worry about the number. You really do have to try wetsuits on.

However, Leisure Pro, which is an online retailer that is generally competitively priced, does have an actual store that you can go into in New York City (not sure what part of New York you're from, but if you're not too far, it's probably worth checking out.)

Many other women have posted in this forum about the wonders of Henderson Hyperstretch. I personally have never used one, but many, many people who had wetsuit sizing problems have said that Henderson Hyperstretch suits solved all their problems.

If none of these work, there are also smaller custom wetsuit manufacturers that supposedly make great suits for close to the same price as off-the-rack suits of major brands. I'm not sure how internet pricing plays into this, though. Liquid Fit is the name of one company that I read about on this board, although there are also several others that have been recommended. If you do a search on custom suits on this board, you will probably find several.

Hope this helps!
otter-cat

Thanks, I know of scubapro, it is not far from me.
As for the brands, I will consider Bare and Henderson.
I have a weak sale-resistance, so I wanted to know firmly what I want before going into the actural store.
Besides, trying on wetsuits is not like trying on fur coats. :wink:

Don't worry about weak sales resistance if you go to Leisurepro. No one in there will try to sell you anything. In fact, you will have to jump up and down and make a lot of noise to get one of the "sales people" to pay attention to you. The last time I went in there and dropped a few hundred dollars the big, surly, readheaded guy who "waited on" me treated me as if I were a noxious weed. I didn't take up too much of his time. I didn't ask any questions. I just walked in and asked him to get me the items I had selected out of the catalogue. He acted as if taking my money in exchange for his merchandise was a big pain in the butt.

I have bought a lot of gear in that place and I have only had one pleasant experience with the staff. If they weren't so cheap and convenient I would never go in there again.

I have a Henderson TItanium Hyperstretch suit, bought from Leisurepro. It fits like a glove. I thought I would never find a suit to fit my skinny arms and legs as well as my big boobs. THe Henderson suit is a miracle. It even looks good on.

Originally posted by Dea
Thanks, I know of scubapro, it is not far from me.
As for the brands, I will consider Bare and Henderson.
I have a weak sale-resistance, so I wanted to know firmly what I want before going into the actural store.
Besides, trying on wetsuits is not like trying on fur coats. :wink:

Originally posted by raviepoo
The last time I went in there and dropped a few hundred dollars the big, surly, readheaded guy who "waited on" me treated me as if I were a noxious weed. I didn't take up too much of his time. I didn't ask any questions. I just walked in and asked him to get me the items I had selected out of the catalogue. He acted as if taking my money in exchange for his merchandise was a big pain in the butt.

I have bought a lot of gear in that place and I have only had one pleasant experience with the staff. If they weren't so cheap and convenient I would never go in there again.

I'm with you raviepoo... I stormed out of there one day and vowed never to return... but then I folded when it came to shelling out for a computer :rolleyes:. Now I just avoid that guy, and I've had much better experiences with the other staff.

Back
Top Bottom