I want a G10 but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vondo~

Do you have an external strobe, or are you using the internal on the camera? How is the G10 w/o the external strobe?

IÃ×e been using an old Powershot S500 for years. Gets me some decent picÃÔ here in SoCal and in the tropic / south pacific.

IÃÎ going back to Fiji for 3 weeks this fall to get married and dive. IÃÎ thinking of upgrading to a camera w/wider lens, and at least some control over shutter speed, F-stop, and processing time (what I always called ÅÇilm speed) :) and of course a few more mega-pixels

As you can see IÃÎ happy w/something not overly complicated; IÃÎ shooting to put pics on my wall, not in National Geographic so I prefer not needing an external strobe ;-) The G10 caught my eye, but I read some on-line reviews that it wasnÃÕ great in low-light situations. IÃÅ love any additional feedback from someone whoÃÔ actually had it underwater!

-Michael

I use the internal, although I will be getting an external soon. Without the diffuser, it is worthless. With the diffuser, it works OK for closeups. Here are two galleries of shots with it, some in the first have the flash, almost all in the second do. The second one is SoCal so you can compare. These are the only two times I've used the setup.

Cozumel Mexico, January 2009
San Diego 2009

Eric

As for the movie mode you turn dial #15 or you program the movie mode in Custom 1 or Custom 2 settings as previously stated. I use Custom 1 for my macro strobe shots with cloudy white balance and Custom 2 for my non strobe distant shots with custom white balance.

Interesting idea to put movie in one of the "C" modes, but that's not what I was saying. I was saying that C1, C2, and Movie are all right next to each other on the dial. I do pretty much what you do with the custom settings.

Aloha Gilligan~

First, before making my posting last night I read an article you posted a while back for new / amateur photographers. Awesome. Very informative, and helpful. Thx!

Thanks for the input on the G10 housing. Trying to make the step up from my old S500 I find an interesting gap. There's a ton of point/shoot cameras just like the S500, and then the next step up seems to be a giant leap to cameras that have more than I want / need. The G10 seems like a nice mid-point; having all the cool stuff, but keeping it compact and simple for a guy like me. :)

What you said about the lens tunnel blocking the flash on closer shots-is that more when shooting macro? I can't really use the flash on my S500 due to back-scatter in the SoCal waters, and don't use it enough to invest in a strobe right now, so as long as I have some control over F-stop / shutter speed / processing time, I think I'll be good. Definately going to take a much closer look at the G10. Thx!!

Vondo~

Nice pic's, and thanks for the input. Seeing shots from SoCal helped. I really do appreciate the help. I'll be spending some serious time this weekend learning about the camera itself, but seems like the G10 will be the way to go. Thx! :)

-Michael

Vondo~

Nice pic's, and thanks for the input. Seeing shots from SoCal helped. I really do appreciate the help. I'll be spending some serious time this weekend learning about the camera itself, but seems like the G10 will be the way to go. Thx! :)

-Michael

No problem. Like you, I see kind of a quantum leap between a compact in the Canon housing and a fully housed DSLR with a strobe and not a lot in between. Both in terms of cost and size. The G10 is at the top of the heap in that first category.

Maybe when I add a strobe I will feel like I should have just housed my SLR, but we'll see. I like to take a camera with me when I dive, not feel like the whole point of the dive is to take the camera.

ScottFiji~

Okay, I have to admit what caught my attention was the word Fiji in your name (going back in Nov, so it's really on my mind!)

I glanced at your site & tips for u/w photography. I'll definatley be stopping back when I have more time to read in-depth. thx!

What about moving upto the Ikeltite ?

You have to use an external strobe with the Ike housing.
Canon housing = $200 price range. Ike housing = $600 price range.
Ike housing also has a wide angle lens available.
Ike housing has true TTL as it has the port for a hard wire connection to the hot shoe on the G10.
Canon housing requires a fiber optic cord to fire a slave strobe.
Ike TTL strobe with a focus light = $1000. range.
Sea & Sea YS-27DX manual strobe= $250

It was a money and compact size issue for me, especially since I had to replace my camera, housing and strobe while still in the Philippines where taxes and import tariffs are basically un-armed robbery.
If you have the $$$ for a complete Ike setup and you don't mind the size of the rig then its probably a top-end way to go.

The other half of the package is the person taking the photos :D
That's always the big part of the equation even with a less expensive Canon/Sea & Sea setup.

No problem. Like you, I see kind of a quantum leap between a compact in the Canon housing and a fully housed DSLR with a strobe and not a lot in between. Both in terms of cost and size. The G10 is at the top of the heap in that first category.

Maybe when I add a strobe I will feel like I should have just housed my SLR, but we'll see. I like to take a camera with me when I dive, not feel like the whole point of the dive is to take the camera.

AMEN - I am trying to maintain the line between diver who loves to take photo & video, and I want to keep it fun.

Now, if I could just ditch the cubicle job....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom