I want more volume

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark99:
If you really want to go to the top there's the E8-130, but i"d guess it tops 50# when full.

52.5# when full. 105# when doubled up.

E8-119s or E7-120s aren't going to get you that much less weight. Unless you're tall and like the way the E7-120s trim, or there's availability issues, you might as well get the 130s. I'm not sure what niche the 119s fit, unless you've got a really short diver that needs a really big tank..

When considering large steel tanks, remember that while the tank weighs 15# more than an AL80, you get to take 5# off the weightbelt, so its only 10# more weight you're lugging into the water -- and 5# of that is the extra gas and comes off during the dive, while 5# is the extra metal.

Just out of curiosity, is there something you don't like about the HP steels other than the price?

mark99:
The nice thing about HP tanks are they are smaller for whatever amount of air you have (note I said smaller, not lighter!!) and they have zero or negative buoyancy at the end of the dive rather than positive like the AL tanks.

The HP steels are often lighter especially when you note that the Aluminum empty weights usually do not include the valve where for steels they do. Don't ask me why, slight of hand by the Aluminum tank industry? As always get the actual specifications for what you are evaluating and do the math.

Pete

pants!:
Just out of curiosity, is there something you don't like about the HP steels other than the price?

Getting a good fill requires a little more finesse. Find the right shop and life is good :)

Pete

spectrum:
Getting a good fill requires a little more finesse. Find the right shop and life is good :)

Pete
Well I was asking Tom because he seems not to like the HP steels even though he pumps the LP steels to the same pressure.

pants!:
Well I was asking Tom because he seems not to like the HP steels even though he pumps the LP steels to the same pressure.

I'm not Tom (last time I checked), but the LPs are going to be cheaper, they have more steel in the butt so they tend to trim out better, you drop more weight off your weightbelt because they are more negative. Plus an LP120 pumped up to 3500 psi (like god intended) will hold around 150 cu ft of gas and PST doesn't make an HP tank that big.

If you have the money to afford the HP tanks and you don't live in cave country or own your own compressor, I think the HP tanks make much more sense since I think that fill pressure trumps the finer points of trimming out doubles. YMMV.

jpraederjr:
I want a bigger tank. Should I get a aluminum 100 or go with a steel 100 or 120.

How about the Worthington cylinders?

I have two E7-120's which I picked up in January. They have 2 dives on them (scout's honor). We're thinking of moving to Mexico and won't need to bring 11 tanks with us.

PM me if interested.

Well, Lamont saved me a bunch of typing. For what it's worth, I have never found better all-around tanks for diving than the LP 85's. You can dive them LP at 85 or with the right burst disks use them as 129's at 4000psi. Empty, they're lighter and shorter than an alumnum 80 too.
Lots of people jumped on the E8-130 bandwagon - twinned also. They're soooo heavy that I used to have to carry and load them for some people.
I just find the LP's more adaptive and flexible for whatever kind of diving that I'm doing. I can carry 110 cubes or 160 cubes in a single tank, and twinned 85's are manageable with deco bottles. You try lugging twinned E8-130's, 50% and 100% deco bottles, an HID light and walking around your backyard. Then imagine climbing a pitching boat ladder after a couple of hours of diving. Too manly for me.
Lighthouse Point to Mexico - just like that? What brought that on? All sorts of new stuff here while I was gone.
More power to you if HP's are your ideal tanks. Whatever works.
Rebreathers are looking better and better to me all the time now...

Tom Winters:
Well, Lamont saved me a bunch of typing. For what it's worth, I have never found better all-around tanks for diving than the LP 85's. You can dive them LP at 85 or with the right burst disks use them as 129's at 4000psi. Empty, they're lighter and shorter than an alumnum 80 too.
Lots of people jumped on the E8-130 bandwagon - twinned also. They're soooo heavy that I used to have to carry and load them for some people.
I just find the LP's more adaptive and flexible for whatever kind of diving that I'm doing. I can carry 110 cubes or 160 cubes in a single tank, and twinned 85's are manageable with deco bottles. You try lugging twinned E8-130's, 50% and 100% deco bottles, an HID light and walking around your backyard. Then imagine climbing a pitching boat ladder after a couple of hours of diving. Too manly for me.
Lighthouse Point to Mexico - just like that? What brought that on? All sorts of new stuff here while I was gone.
More power to you if HP's are your ideal tanks. Whatever works.
Rebreathers are looking better and better to me all the time now...

I second that about 85s. I haven't required bigger ones yet. LP tanks also make it easier for blending if you don't own a booster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom