I want to go Apeks, but LDS pushing Scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astrofunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another entry in the endless debate over which reg to buy:

Based mainly on what I've read around here, I decided that the regulator for me is the Apeks TX-50/DS4, and I figured I'd order it from DiveInn.

However, when I asked around my LDS for (obviously biased) opinions about regs, they suggested something from Scubapro. The main argument was that Scubapro is easy to service, and that parts are free. Hence, if I service my Scubapro reg once a year over its lifetime, I'd save a bundle. Evidently, the same is not true for Apeks.

I like the idea of free service and parts for a Scubapro reg, but something inside me is still leaning toward Apeks. What does everyone think? How difficult/expensive will it be to service the Apeks reg if my LDS doesn't carry Apeks? What if I travel? Scubapro does seem to have the advantage of being found everywhere. What kind of warranty do I get for an Apeks if I buy online?

For the record, the reg will get used almost exclusively in Northern California for purely recreational dives.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

My Wife Dives with ScubaPro she uses the G500 now the G600
She loves them, I have taken them on a few deep dives 170+ feet and they breath great, Just as well as the Apeks.

I am qualified to service both Apeks and ScubaPro and Mares for that matter. I find it just a easy to service one form the other.

I don't want to get into the Apex is better than everything debate, I think it is rubbish. If your LDS is a good one, they should let you take the ScubaPro regs for a test dive. If you are comfortable with them and they fall within your budget then I would take the plunge.

Free parts and service for life sounds like a great deal and you will most certainley save a bundle on your Reg services.

Happy diving

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

A dive buddy of mine was given the same story from a local Scubapro dealer about free this and saving a bundle over the life of the reg on that. He bought his scubapro reg at this LDS for that reason. A year later he had it serviced and he had to pay over $130 for routine stuff. Another buddy bought his online, saved a ton on his MK25/S600 and paid almost the exact same thing for his service at the same dive shop.

Is it me or do shops that carry scubapro rarely carry other lines?

For the record, I think Scubapro makes great regs and they have been around a long time. I do dive with Apeks though.

~Marlinspike

My vote would be to get with what your comfortable with and what you want. Don't get something that someone else loves or wants you to get. Your not getting it for them. If your LDS doesn't sell the regs you want, find out if he can get them. If not, then go elsewhere for the purchase of the reg. Your the one that has to use it! Get what you want! :teach:

Originally posted by astrofunk
How difficult/expensive will it be to service the Apeks reg if my LDS doesn't carry Apeks? What if I travel? Scubapro does seem to have the advantage of being found everywhere. What kind of warranty do I get for an Apeks if I buy online?

A quick search of the Seaquest (the US Apeks importer) website dealer locator http://findlocation.com/Seaquest/SeaQuest_Search.htm found 6 dealers within 20 miles of Oakland so how difficult can it be to get service for an Apeks reg if you buy one? Apeks is now owned by US Divers and is becoming quite popular around the world. I don't think it will be that tough to get service when you travel.

I don't think you can get a warranty on any reg bought on line other than whatever service the seller is willing to provide. Most manufacturers will not honour a warranty in the US if not sold through an LDS.

Scubapro makes an excellent product. They last, breathe great, and will take a beating. That being said, I think they are overpriced compared to other quality equipment (at least in my experience). I worked for a LDS that picked up the Scubapro line about 10 years ago. The rep actually "encouraged" us to not carry other competing regulators. Their doctrine is to go for an upscale market, keeping prices high. I have also usually found that service prices are higher at Scubapro LDS's. It's not a bad line to have though, as customers usually stay very loyal and are expecting a premium pricing structure. If you're uncomfortable with the "push" to go with them, then don't. You can't go wrong with an Aqualung, Apeks, or even a Poseidon (they're prices seem to have come down a bit). For purely recreational diving you can use a variety of regulators. Mares, Sherwood, Genisis have decent reputations and stand behind their gear.
Look around, you have lots of options. Perhaps your uncomfortable feeling is indicative of a bigger issue with that LDS (just a feeling).
Good luck.
Tom

PS I did want to add that I do have one piece of Scubapro equipment that I will not part with. My Frameless Mask is the best I have used in almost 20 years of diving!
T

Call up your LDS (and any other SP dealers in the area) and tell them you have a whatever it is you are thinking of buying that you bought used and ask them how much to annual it. Then call again a day or two later and tell them you have just moved to the area, and have the same thing that is under guarantee, and ask how much they want to overhaul it. If they are vague or can't quote you a price right off that's a warning sign - you may want to call a couple times to see if the answer stays the same. Then call a couple Apeks dealers and see what they get. After a while a pattern will emerge.

Oh the SP deal is free parts not parts and service so its not as big a savings as you might think.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the very useful feedback. I really appreciate it.

DNAXdiver, that's an excellent idea. I'll let you know how it goes.

best,
steve

I had a shop try to sell me Scubapro, they wouldn't even give me a price on Apeks, even though they were a Seaquest Dealer!!

I went elsewhere, come to find out, when purchased through a Seaquest dealer., Apeks regs also have free parts for life.

Free parts for life is not that good of a deal if you actually work out the numbers. Ask yourself what is the breakeven point?

Assume the regulator set costs 1000 at the LDS and you can buy it online for 600. Assume that part kits are around 40 if you have to buy them. That means that your breakeven point is about 10 years out. In the meantime you are forced to get service every year. If you only planned to service every other year the breakeven point is further out.

For most things I buy, I mentally depreciate them after 5 years or so, so it just isn't worth it to me. I still might by from my LDS, but not to get the service deal.

Back
Top Bottom