I wanted to share my dive helmet with you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AeroMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I think I finally have it all set up. I started with a wake board helmet and removed the weak chin strap and replaced it with a military chin strap I purchased at a surplus store. I drilled out the old rivets and installed the new chin strap using aluminum rivets. Next, I wanted to be able to mount my two Dorcy 220 lumen lights and at first I used a big rubber band from Streamlight and the only bad thing was I could not change the angle of the lights on the fly.

So, I rummaged around at work and came up with brackets we use with creform, along with a few pieces of Loc-Line. This stuff is awesome because it will adjust and stay where you put it. I was off to the home improvement store to pick up some stainless steel hardware.

I also looped the lanyards through holes in the helmet just incase the bracket failed I would not lose the light at all.

Here are the results, enjoy~!

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

A shot of the light handle and I like how the lights "snap" into it but I think I may add a velcro strap for added stability.
helmet4.jpg

helmet3.jpg

helmet5.jpg

Here is a shot of the helmet, I drilled a hole and then used a washer on the inside and a lockable nut so I do not have to worry about it getting loose over time. One thing I have to mention, Loc-Line is used to either deliver air or some sort of cooling liquid while drilling, milling, etc. so the inside is hollow. I used a countersink washer, I just inverted it and it worked perfect.
helmet6.jpg

helmet7.jpg

VIOLA~! here is my ugly mug, and I have already been diving with this helmet and I like it, I just cannot wait to try this setup out~!
helmet10.jpg

helmet8.jpg

Not DIR......:)

But as a photographer, sure looks handy......I use a UK LED Q40 plus on my mask strap......

M

Makes you look kinda like Shrek.:D

Very cool.
Thanks for sharing.

Chug
Don't need no stinkin' helmet until the Lion Fish get mean.

Nice looking helmet Mike. I should know Wed. if I can start my charters back soon, like maybe even this coming weekend! I,ll let you know as soon as possible. I,m about to go stir crazy.

Let us know how it works for night riding. I always had a problem seeing what was beyond the 5 rear facing tower lights on moonless nights. Since we rode narrow water ways some extra light where we were looking would have been nice.

Underwater how much extra weight does it take to sink the helmet?

Did you say Shrek?

:)

M

Attachments

• 2011-07-30_09-13-31_707.jpg
    2011-07-30_09-13-31_707.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 972
Yup ...

Back
Top Bottom