I wanted to share my dive helmet with you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the design, Mike. Like the size of the fasteners and nylon locking feature. Nice choice in chin strap. A good chin strap made all the difference in a football helmet. The articulating arms are a very nice touch. I love building stuff. Please tell me about your experience with the Ashepoo river. deep? shallow? fast? slow? viz? bottom characteristics? log jams? hard blown? sandy? gravel? bones? teeth? how far from the ocean?

What I like about this set up is that the lights are mounted and fully adjustable. This leaves me hands free with lighting. Second, in the black water of the rivers, the viz is low or next to nothing and if I am drift diving looking for new spots, I have some protection against fallen trees. I hit my head one time and it sucked!!! no hair for cushion, lol I also like the fact that if something where drifting in the water and it hit me, then at least the helmet will deflect or dissipate a lot of the energy and hopefully less or no injury to me.

Now I have messed around with a dive torch being mounted directly top center, it is a 1200 Lumen light but for right now I do not need it. I have another back up light in my BC.

I have dived with this helmet and it feels fine, it does not seem to be any trouble at all. No buoyancy problems or slipping at all. the lights seem cancel out any buoyancy issues with it. The helmet is made for the water, it is a wake board helmet.

I also thought about when Go Pro comes out with their diver friendly camera, one that has a flat lens on it this fall, then I can mount that on the top rim and shoot some video. I really want to shoot some underwater video's especially for my wife so she can "experience" my diving without actually being there since she will never dive or become a diver. Trust me, I tried to get her into it but the best I got was snuba in St Maarten and even then she would only venture 10' deep.

From the photos it looks like you used aluminum pop rivets. If so did you remember to remove the steel pins after popping them? These will eventually rust if left in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom