I was almost a Darwin Award candidate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear 12 lbs because I'm a big guy (Ladydi 69 is my wife - guess her name and age) and in my 90 ocean dives I found this to be the most comfortable for me on my safety stops with an empty tank and potentially a little trapped air in my 10 year old jacket style BCD. I've tried 10 lbs. a few times before and my safety stops were an interesting experience because I felt positive and had to work to stay at 15 ft. Maybe that makes me a bad overweighted diver in addition to being dumb for wearing 12 lbs around my waist while on the boat.

The point of the post was to point out a bad habit I had so others could learn. Maybe others would be comfortable jumping into the ocean with a bowling ball tied to a leg - just seems like a bad idea to me. :no

I wasn't interested in joining Luca Brasi and thought I would give others the benefit of examining their own bad habits by talking about mine.

Attached are some pictures of 1. the boat (I love this shot) 2. the dolphins that were the cause of so much excitement 3. the 7 year old freerolling referred to after her SNUBA.

Attachments

• Half n Half Bonaire sm.jpg
    Half n Half Bonaire sm.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Bonaire dolphins sm.jpg
    Bonaire dolphins sm.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Maddog Snuba sm.jpg
    Maddog Snuba sm.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 64
I wear 12 lbs because I'm a big guy (Ladydi 69 is my wife - guess her name and age) and in my 90 ocean dives I found this to be the most comfortable for me on my safety stops with an empty tank and potentially a little trapped air in my 10 year old jacket style BCD. I've tried 10 lbs. a few times before and my safety stops were an interesting experience because I felt positive and had to work to stay at 15 ft. Maybe that makes me a bad overweighted diver in addition to being dumb for wearing 12 lbs around my waist while on the boat.
Oh hell, I thot a woman was posting. Hey, I use 14 lbs in saltwater with no neoprene, 16 if I had beans with dinner. I'm a big guy, with a big BC, and I like to be sure I can get down even after a safety stop if needed. I don't think you're overweighted at all, now that you've explained. I wondered early in this discussion.

Nice boat and dolphins; darling girl. :)

Why would you think I was a woman DandyDon:blinking:? Maybe I should get my own screen name.

Why would you think I was a woman DandyDon:blinking:? Maybe I should get my own screen name.
Maybe so. :wink:

I wear more than that without neoprene in saltwater - with my body, big BC, etc. Some of us do.

I need about 8 in saltwater without neoprene. However, if I jumped in the water with an 8 lb weightbelt (or even a 12 lb) on, I would be in no danger of drowning.

I need about 8 in saltwater without neoprene. However, if I jumped in the water with an 8 lb weightbelt (or even a 12 lb) on, I would be in no danger of drowning.
Ok, I checked with Oceanic about the buoyancy of my big ol' Probe BC: 3-1/2# with no air in the bladder, and - my Reg probly weighs about that much plus a standard 80 has a negative buoyancy of about 2#; therefore I suppose if I had on a 14# weight belt instead of using the integration, did not have the +3-1/2 BC, -3 Reg, -2 Tank, I suppose I'd still have some positive buoyancy - maybe?

I'd want to check that out in a controlled situation, tho - not just fall into it, surprised, without grabbing a lung of air, no fins. Maybe it is not as risky as I have been thinking, but some risk would yet exist. We still read about divers drowning on the surface ever year, BC problems or panic, failing to drop weights, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom