I wonder how deep this is and what it contains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well here's my 2cents let me know if you find them on the bottom:wink:

Green_Manelishi:
I am planning to test its depth tomorrow. I'll post the results.

I hope it passes. :D

do it easy:
Don't forget to taste the water to see if there is anything toxic in there. :wink:

One thing you can be fairly sure it WON'T taste like is Ilsay whiskey. No, wait a second... One thing you can be fairly sure it MAY taste like is Islay whiskey.

Here's mud in your eye! So to speak.

PTN

paulthenurse:
One thing you can be fairly sure it WON'T taste like is Ilsay whiskey. No, wait a second... One thing you can be fairly sure it MAY taste like is Islay whiskey.

Here's mud in your eye! So to speak.

PTN

Even some Islay whiskys are more Islay than others.

Also, make sure Samara is not in there...

TheRing_Samara_.jpg

That's kind of neat. Let us know what you find!

Based on the not-very-scientific method of "finding" the bottom, pictured below, the results are that currently the water is a wee bit deeper than 5ft. I went back through the guesses and some of you were very optimistic, as was I. It's fairly obvious now that some of the first pictures showing the ice a few feet below ground level were showing ice laying on what is currently the bottom. When the area dries up, which I am sure it will later this summer, I'll have another look at its depth.

Never-the-less, I declare the following results:

#1 GenXWeb with a guess of 5' 5"
Tied for 2nd with a guess of 6' are JessH and Mad Scientist
3rd place is mchrisk with a 6'6" guess

Just as an FYI, there is currently a lot of water (large puddles) in the area, which is in a gully. Because where that cistern is located was once farmland my hypothesis is that it was a way to easily access "ground" water for livestock or irrigation. I am still looking for records/surveys/maps that show the area in the past.

101_0729a.JPG

That's a little disappointing it's not deeper, but still neat nonetheless! It's a little piece of history.
You better make sure you have a pony bottle & doubles if you decide to dive this one. :wink:

101_0729a.JPG
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom