I wonder....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.JimDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
FIRST

Cause I have that kind of time while navigating the boats...:wink:

Who came up with this (no C card no air) idea and why?

When you get gas for your car, station attendees don't want to see your driver's license to verify if you qualify to know what the heck you're doing on the freeway in case of an emergency.

So why a dive shop ask to see your C card for filling your tank.

I mean after all if you're wealthy enough to purchase a nice compressor it is not illegal to fill your own tanks and dive. Nobody going to throw you in jail for that.
How about if that rich friend of mine was doing me a favor and filling my tank with his own compressor when I wasn't a certified diver. Will they trow him in jail?

Also how about if I go to a dive operator and rent two Al80's and when I put them on my boat and go to a dive site, give one of them to my uncertified friend to use.
How a dive shop will prevent that?

and of course in the light of these weird thoughts my question remains, why a dive shop need to see a C card in order to fill a tank?

SECOND

I am keep hearing that xxxx person was in Cozumel, xxxx is going for a week to Roatan, xxxx just came back from a week of diving trip in Maldives... So far so good. More power to those of you who could do that. But you have to admit that must cost some pretty penny.
Just teach me how to do it please!
Even the commute between my work and home is killing my budget and therefore I stay on my boat where I work.
And even where I work is a famous dive spot in SoCal I still can't find time to dive from work.
How many times a year you guys are going to Cozumel, Caymans or Maldives kind of places for diving and are you guys/gals all filthy rich or did you guys find an affordable way to do it that I am not aware of yet ?:eyebrow:

"How to find time & money for diving in great places" must be taught as a part of OW certification class.

Well, I was just wondering...

Can you say I am bored ? :popcorn:

God, I need to dive:shakehead: ( Actually I need a day off, so I could go to dive ):depressed:

1st. I believe the rule requiring a certification to get a fill was adopted to create demand for certifications.

2nd. Statistical arbitrage.

First... Some shops don't require c-card to prove. Some understand that if you are into paintball and need the tank to filled. Just go to the shop that is also part of paintball. They usually don't ask for c-card.

Second... Find 2nd job? Go back to school to find a major that has high demands out there? Etc, etc...

Capt. Jim, you always have interesting questions...

As to the first, if I recall correctly, it was part of an effort by the industry to prevent government regulation, e.g. the license. The World Recreational Scuba Training Council (WRSTC) is/was also part of the same effort to 'self-regulate' the industry/sport.

The second...when you figure it out, let me know. If you think it's bad, I have a wife and two sons to pay for as well. I suppose I could pull it off if I could just convince my wife to let me go on vacation alone...

Hi,

1) Don't know how it works in the US but in Europe/Australasia/Egypt you need a Cert Card to rent gear or get a fill anywhere.

This is not because the shop cares particularly what you do once they hand the equipment/gas over to you (naturally they don't want you wrecking their kit), but to cover themselves legally.

If you show them the right C-Card and aren't blatantly inebriated/stoned they can't be expected to guess what you will do with it once you have it. After it leaves the shop, what you do with it is your personal responsibility.

However if they handed over a bottle of hypoxic trimix to a OW cert diver with 8 dives, the shop could reasonably be expected, in a legal sense, to guess the diver wouldn't know how to use it safely. The shop wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court if things went bad and the diver was harmed by using gas or equipment they weren't qualified to use but the shop still gave them.

If on the other hand the OW Cert diver asks for a bottle of air, a BC and regs they should know what they are doing with them. Obviously, if the diver in question is widely known to be a dangerous idiot then the dive shop, in a legal sense, could reasonably be expected not to rent to them or fill their tanks. Assuming the shop has no other foreknowledge of the diver then all they can do is check the C-Card.

2) I too don't know how people afford all of these trips away. I have a well paying job, no dependants and I struggle to afford local diving let alone the 4 or 5 trips away each year some of my buddies do.

Rupert

Last edited:
First, The industry is self regulated and certification is what has evolved as the gateway to the consumable supply. Add to that the instruction marketing and liability associated with enabling divers with compressed air and certification makes as much sense as anything. Remember that here in the states at least there is no scuba police. If you want to take responsibility for yourself and own a compressor you are free to do so but it's a big investment.

Second, not everyone engages in dive travel at the frequency you perceive. Sure some have lots of disposable time and income and are living the good life. The majority travel to dive only occasionally if at all. Not many people post about the trip they didn't take. Some are able to dive while on business travel, others travel heavily and are able to bag frequent flier miles. In general you can make a trip for $2000. per person give or take so with some budgeting it can often be made to happen. If you are a couple then it's a bit more of a stretch. It's all about means and priorities.

Pete

you wonder way too much-----IMO.....

As to point one what is to stop someone from buying their own compressor for fills? Nada
Point two. I feel your pain. My answer is to start looking at every dive as interesting. There is always something new and different if you are willing to look for it. I have little to no sympathy for those who refuse to do local stuff and complain when the vis on vacation is less than 100 feet. Then stay out of the water, ya crybabies! As to affording it, you need to prioritize. I do not need a house, So I rent from my motherinlaw. Do not want designer clothes- Walmart, discount stores, and farm supply places sell jeans at great prices on sale. I have not bought a new dress shirt in 5 years. I get hand me downs from relatives who are clothes horses. I have three designer dress shirts that an uncle of my wife's gave me. The freakin tags are still in em! I also do not smoke or drink, take my lunch to work, and use coupons and gift cards to eat out whenever possible. And yet I still dive every week usually even if it;s one local. Tonite I'm doing a new site, local lake, 120 acres, max 60 feet deep. Will it be interesting? Damn right as I'll be solo, doing some line work and skills practice. I don;t need the warm clear water for every dive. My best dives except for wrecks have been the local ones where I hit perfect trim and buoyancy, navigated to within 10 feet of my start point at the end of an hour long dive with 5 or 6 changes in heading, and found a new place to train myself and students.

you wonder way too much-----IMO.....

Well, everything in life begins with wondering first... (sort of)

I wondered how it must be to breathe under water and ten days ago certified at age 51. So, wondering isn't that bad my friend.

Now I wonder if you're wondering enough?:rofl3:

As to your second point, it is mostly a matter of prioritization and research. My observations:

a) FF miles can be a very good friend. You might get an offer that comes with as many as 25k miles. If you start to run most of your expenses through that card (cable, insurance, cell phones, food, gas, etc.) you can rack up some miles. You might be surprised how quickly the miles accrue... Then do reasearch to see where/when you get the best bang for your miles.
b) Spread the costs. Bring a friend (or another couple) and split the costs. Bonus: a villa or condo often means a kitchen -- that can save even more money in food costs.
c) Research destinations. Some are cheaper than others. For longer trips, I find Bonaire a bargain. Lets say that there are two people and they both have FF tickets. You can rent a truck for about $300/wk; shore dive for $105/wk; stay for about $110/night (fridge, micro and shared grill but no kitchen on a seaside property). That is about $2,900 after you include taxes, marine park tags, departure tax, etc., etc. -- or about $1,450 per person. That gets you a solid 12 days of diving (average 4 dives a day and you are at almost $30 a dive). OTOH, you can often get a cheap package to Cozumel for six days. Easier to get to and cheaper. But shorter trip with fewer dives.
d) Make it a priority. Drive your car until the wheels fall off. Don't do the kitchen remodel. Don't eat out. Shop at thirft stores. Use net flix versus going to the movies. We all make choices -- only you can decide what is your priority. If you could save $125/month for two years that would get you to the $2,900.
e) Don't worry about the other guy. You know your own interests, savings situation, income stability and life priorities. If others make different choices, assume it is because those choices fit their values and don't worry about it. Make choices that fit your values.

Back
Top Bottom