I200c or i300c?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a wristwatch type computer, the 200 screen will stay active once activated, rather than eventually go to sleep. Also, the dual time zone feature will finally accomodate areas that are different by fractional hours rather than limited to whole hour multiples.

Hi @Chris91

Have you decided you want the PZ+ decompression algorithm run on the Aqua Lung computers? It is generally considered to be a solid, middle of the road/moderate algorithm. Oceanic computers run both PZ+ and a 2nd decompression algorithm, DSAT. DSAT is generally considered to be liberal. Aqua Lung and Oceanic computers are manufactured by the same OEM, Pelagic Pressure Systems, now owned by Aqua Lung.
i200C = Geo 4.0
i300C = Veo 4.0
It appears that the Oceanic computers cost about $30 more than the Aqua Lung computer in the US. All 4 of the listed computers have Bluetooth

Best of luck in your computer purchase

I don't really know alot about algorithm but I do prefer more liberal. Do you recommend oceanic than aqualung?
Thanks

@AniMaL Diver
was planning to get the Suunto zoop Novo at first since my instructor use it but after digging to the forum I saw many people complain about very conservative algorithm n faulty part (even lawsuit).
I'm pretty open to any other brand as long it's easy to use.
Myb u could give me a recommendation? ☺️☺️

Oceanic offers DSAT and PZ+. AquaLung offers only PZ+.
DSAT is like the PADI tables, except for a computer. Pretty liberal.
PZ+ is more conservative and is more like many of the top-end computers, like Shearwater.
You may find you want to choose the algorithm to best match your buddy's computer, or your own redundant computer if you choose to carry two.

For ease of use, I find a two-button computer a bit frustrating to go through the settings (a one-button computer is even worse!). For that reason, I prefer the i200c or the Geo 4.0, because they have 4 buttons, so the menu is a bit harder to learn but then easier to use.

I also prefer to have the two algorithms, for the reasons stated above.

So, for me, the Geo 4.0, of the ones you are mentioning.
Good call on avoiding the Suunto, IMHO.

Does all oceanic computer allow u change the algorithm on the fly? Or they sell different model with different algorithm

Does all oceanic computer allow u change the algorithm on the fly? Or they sell different model with different algorithm
Neither. Their computer have both algorithms built in, but you have to choose one before a dive....and I don't think you can change it until your tissues have cleared. But I know you can't change it during a dive.

@AniMaL Diver
was planning to get the Suunto zoop Novo at first since my instructor use it but after digging to the forum I saw many people complain about very conservative algorithm n faulty part (even lawsuit).
I'm pretty open to any other brand as long it's easy to use.
Myb u could give me a recommendation? ☺️☺️

Looks like you are just starting out in the sport. My advice would be to go cheap on the first computer until you know you’ll stick with it. As exciting as the first couple dives/certifications are, if you are a couple years in and not diving regularly, you won’t really appreciate the finer differences in computer models. If you are diving regularly, you’ll probably end up picking up a second computer for redundancy anyway and your first becomes a backup and you won’t care that much about its features.

As for recommendations for a cheap one, I picked up a new Mares Puck Pro on sale for about $140 and it has been virtually indestructible and seems to have a middle of the road algo, so it’s been a good backup/loaner. Looks like it retails now for $175. But even at that price it is still much cheaper than the ALs and Oceanics mentioned. Use the spare cash and buy a mask you really love or something. And before you ask, my mask is the Mares Star (because it has a soft mask skirt and makes me look like Batman) and my something is Sewgnar scuba socks (because fin blisters are the worst and they make my feet look like whale sharks). Those together with the Puck are still less than the cost of the other computers discussed.

Looks like you are just starting out in the sport. My advice would be to go cheap on the first computer until you know you’ll stick with it. As exciting as the first couple dives/certifications are, if you are a couple years in and not diving regularly, you won’t really appreciate the finer differences in computer models. If you are diving regularly, you’ll probably end up picking up a second computer for redundancy anyway and your first becomes a backup and you won’t care that much about its features.

This is so not true. Buy a good computer that should last you several years and can become a good backup and not be a pain in the wrist with an algorithm that makes it not suitable as a backup with a primary computer that has a more "liberal" algorithm. As you become experienced and dive more, you become more familiar with your computer, and dive gear in general, and start to discern the difference and use the features that you may have not used at the beginning. A computer that you can "grow" with and not have to upgrade it later not a very limited computer with very limited set of features. The price difference is minimal.

As for recommendations for a cheap one, I picked up a new Mares Puck Pro on sale for about $140 and it has been virtually indestructible and seems to have a middle of the road algo

No, it isn't a "middle of the road" algorithm, it is in fact a very conservative algorithm especially for repetitive muli-day/multi-dive profiles. It is "cheap" however but if you calculate the cost per dive and dive minute of your dives, you will find that this "cheap" computer isn't cheap at all.

But even at that price it is still much cheaper than the ALs and Oceanics mentioned.

The Puck Pro is "cheap" but not a good value or a good computer at all. The price difference is insignificant especially if considering the benefits and flexibility of the Oceanic and AL computers vs. the Mares Puck Pro.

What is the flexibility of the AL computer that one grows into? I have one and in my 250+ dives on it, I haven’t noticed any genuinely useful features above a more basic computer.

As for the relative conservativeness of the algos, I don’t think the generalisms about RGBM being too conservative are helpful. I can only speak to my personal experience, but when I have dived with both a mares and an AL, they have usually been within a few minutes of each other when deep, even after a week or four of 3 dive days. The AL was actually a PITA on repetitive deep dives as it was pretty sensitive to small differences in depth when shallowing up. My NDL would jump from 2 minutes to 30 min depending on with only a foot of two difference in depth. That said, my AL has had issues with misreading depth, so who knows if it was the model or just bad hardware.

Again, the OP is a new relatively new diver. There is no shame in going with something basic until you find out whether you actually stick with diving and know more about your dive style and ambitions for progression. I’ve been the DM on dives where divers have gotten snobby about gear with newer divers and it puts the sport in a bad light. I’ve even had folks apologize for having a cheaper computer than the rest of the boat. Who cares? Does it work? Do you understand how to set it and read it? More importantly, are you enjoying the dives and doing it safely? Great, now spit in your mask and lets go.

I don't really know alot about algorithm but I do prefer more liberal. Do you recommend oceanic than aqualung?
Thanks
I have been diving Oceanic computers running DSAT since 2002, nearly 1800 dives. My bias is for DSAT, it's a personal choice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom