i300 verses i300C

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the help everyone. Can I re-ask an above question - if I don't care about downloading dives to a PC log, do I care about the cable for now?

Again, I mainly ask about software updates? Is this needed or an option?

Um, I have an i300 and no cable. It's still a dive computer without the cable. Mine got stuck and I think I read somewhere that the factory has to upload the fix, if there is one. In my case they said it was a bad pressure sensor so it didn't matter anyway. I suggest very thoroughly rinsing the sensor after diving in salt water. It may or may not help but I'm going to try it.

Thanks. How have you liked it?

I think I am getting one for my wife and me. Been diving for years and years without one, but always wanted one. And we finally did our enriched air class.

Actually, a friend of mine gave it to me (swapped some stuff) and he didn't like it because it is difficult to read. I also find it difficult to read compared to the Mares Puck Pro. Also, he had it only about 9 months and it got stuck and said I was underwater at about 6' while on land and it was still counting the dive time. He had it replaced under warranty with a new one. I have not had it in the ocean yet, only my swimming pool. The i300 gets very good reviews here on SB but so far I like the Mares Puck Pro better. For one thing, the temperature is always displayed on the Mares but you have to push a button on the i300 to see the temp. Plus the Mares is easier to read. I read several accounts online where the i300 got stuck, thinking it was still underwater. Both require an over-priced cable to download your dive logs. I think the Mares is selling for a bit less than the i300. The temperature reading between the two is a difference of at least four degrees F. Compared to my pool thermometer it looks like the Mares is closer to the truth. One more thing: the i300 I got is made for a console. I could not find a wrist strap available for it--it seems you have to order it that way. Since the pressure sensor seems vulnerable I plan to rinse if very thoroughly after every dive but this will be more difficult inside the console. The Mares we got has a wrist strap which seems to be preferred by most divers.

Mares does win on cable price. I think they have a bluetooth cradle out now, too. Oh, and if you buy two matching computers, you only need one cable, obviously.

I wonder how often this level computers get firmware upgrades, I've a feeling it's between "blue moon" and "cows come home". So if you never want to download the logs, you'll probably never need the cable.

firmware updates are infrequent enough that asking around the dive club to borrow a cable or asking your LDS nicely if they carry the brand would work instead of buying the cable just for that purpose

Good points. One more question - anyone have a place they frequent online any better than LeisurePro to check price for the i300 specifically? I like dealing with them and looks like they may have the best price (although I have beaten them on price on other things before). Just want to check because they have price match - but I am not seeing it...

Good points. One more question - anyone have a place they frequent online any better than LeisurePro to check price for the i300 specifically? I like dealing with them and looks like they may have the best price (although I have beaten them on price on other things before). Just want to check because they have price match - but I am not seeing it...

For stuff like that LeisurePro has the best prices I've seen. Heck, if I pay with my credit card and find a better price they will refund the difference. I think the bottom price for the Mares Puck Pro was $129, not sure about the i300. So unless you are in a hurry you can check back occasionally. They also have an email notification if the price drops that you can sign up for.

I pulled the trigger. After all your help and many online reports and reviews, three of us got one. I will let you know how it goes in the future I hope. Much thanks! (I could only find two websites anywhere that still had it - and same price at each.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom