IANTD Tech Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is involved in the IANTD Technical Nitrox course? I read that it is available for 15 year olds so this is of interest to me. Does it involve the basic decompression stuff?

Thanks

jonathan

http://www.iantd.com/iantd3.html

I don't see "technical nitrox" listed

http://www.iantd.com/standards/IANTD_Standards_2003.pdf

This document is the entire 168 page list of standards, and will tell you everything you need to know about any IANTD class.

Not to be a jerk, but this is the kind of situation where if you have to ask questions like this, you are not ready, young Jedi.

IMHO, 15 is barely old enough for open water certification (I know, they are now beginning training at 10, and I do not agree with that). There are MEDICAL reasons why this may be unwise. Technical and decompression diving should be absolutely out of the question prior to age 18-20.

One of the primary reasons has nothing to do with maturity or frame of mind... it's a heart condition called a "PFO". This is a hole in the upper heart joining the right and left chambers. This hole allows us to survive before we are born. EVERYONE is born with it, and it generally does not completely close until we are in our teens. It is still present in about 25% of the adult population.
So what harm does it do if we all lived with it for 14-18 years?
It is a shunt, allowing blood to exchange (in small quantities) between the arterial and veinous sides of the circulatory system.
Okay... that's what it is. How does it impact decompression diving specifically?

When you are decompressing, there are bubbles forming. That's fine. That's the most efficient way to offgas. These bubbles are released and are very small, and they are released into the small capillaries. A slow ascent rate ensures that they are able to move through the gradually enlarging veinous system back through the heart, to the lungs, where they are captured by the capillary beds in the lungs and held until they dissipate. Again, a slow ascent rate allows them to dissipate before they grow to a point that they will burst the capillary beds in the lungs.

Okay... how is a PFO a problem? Those bubbles pass through the heard on their way to the lungs. The PFO allows SOME blood to pass directly to the arterial side, bypassing the lungs. This blood will carry the same bubbles. You now have a growing bubble, on the arterial side, where the arteries and capillaries are gradually DECREASING in size as they approach the extremities.
Those bubbles will not make it back to the lungs... they will be trapped and block the arterial flow.

Here's where it gets scary.

If a bubble gets trapped on it's way back to the lungs, it will most likely lodge in a joint, causing joint pain. In minor cases, it will eventually disperse, the pain will go away, and you may never realize that you were "bent".
If a bubble is trapped on the arterial side, it blocks the flow of fresh blood TO the affected area. Quite often, this is the brain or spine, and results in symptoms similar to a stroke.
Recompression may prevent further damage, but there are many ex-divers stuck in wheelchairs.

Beyond the medical reasons, experience is a main ingredient as well. I would not be comfortable beginning technical training with less than 150-200 logged dives, with at least half of those being cold-water dives in the 90-120ft range in non-ideal conditions (current, surge, etc...).

Before beginning tech training, all of the basics need to be 2nd nature. If your mask gets kicked off, you need to be able to recover and replace it without dropping in the water column. You should also have 20-30 recreational-level dives in manifolded doubles, just to be comfortable in them.

Well, I guess thats your opinion, and I wouldn't attept this course until I get a lot of experience with doubles. I'm just trying to find some courses that will let me move on past basic nitrox and such before 18.

And, according to every instructor I've ever dove with, training dives and otherwise, and IMHO, all basic skills ARE second nature to me, and very good buoyancy control.

Thanks for the links.

teknitroxdiver:
Right-o. My mistake, it's Advanced nitrox.

Advanced Nitrox has a depth limit of 130 and anly allows for minimal mandatory decompression. Skill wise it's a great course but 15 seems a little young to me. Just my opinion of course.

At least when I took it, Advanced Nitrox has an age cut-off of eighteen years old.

It's a great class to take, but you will have to wait a few years.

teknitroxdiver:
What is involved in the IANTD Technical Nitrox course? I read that it is available for 15 year olds so this is of interest to me. Does it involve the basic decompression stuff?

Thanks

jonathan

I've heard "Technical Nitrox" being used I think to refer to what the standards call "Technical Diver" training. I've definitely heard that phrase used by an Instructor.

I echo what all the other guys say, even if they allow you to train at a younger age, I would wait until you're older unless you're really the exception. No need to hurry, there will always be water.

crawford:
I've heard "Technical Nitrox" being used I think to refer to what the standards all "Technical Diver" training. I've definitely heard that phrase used by an Instructor.

I echo what all the other guys say, even if they allow you to train at a younger age, I would wait until you're older unless you're really the exception. No need to hurry, there will always be water.

Yes it's the Technical Diver course. The max depth allowed in training dives is 170 ft.

IMO, the best option is to combine this class with normoxic trimix and avoid doing any deep air...ignoring the age issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom