IANTD's Essential's Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My kids can swim there while I'm diving. Usually go after church.

But, all that said, the Fundies class i saw had 5 divers swimming that looked like a squadron of fighter jets. I want that. Would the Essentials class get me there.

A substantial focus on precise buoyancy and trim is one of the signature hallmarks (though certainly not the only one) of GUE Fundamentals. The standards to which the instructors teach and are held to themselves are quite high in this regard. I haven't heard the same as applying to any other agency *across the board*.

So, does Tom Mount have incredible buoyancy and trim? With the level of his experience, I'm sure he must. But it certainly doesn't seem like he's made that skill as highly visible a focus for his agency's classes as GUE has.

Another thing to note with "a squadron of fighter jets" is that it's not just an issue of personal skills such as buoyancy and trim. GUE classes heavily promote the concept of team diving, and maintaining formation and diving "in sync" has as much to do with team awareness, positioning and training as it does personal skills.

Let me start by saying I do not know Tom Mount nor (to my knowledge) have I ever seen him in the water.
I recently took IANTD and TDI classes here in So. Cal. My instructor teaches for both of the afore mentioned agencies as well as UTD. He absolutely teaches all of his classes to the highest of DIR standards. Though I am not familliar with the IANTD "Essentials" class, I can't understand why it couldn't be taught to DIR standards unless there is something specifically contradictory in the outline. That more sounds like an "instructor's choice" issue. Maybe a different instructor could get you where you want to go. However, if you know you want DIR training, why not spend the money where you know you will get the training you are after?
Good luck,
K

Honestly, I don't know the the montra of DIR. And seriously, in my camp, no one here wants to. My circle of diving comrads (and it's a large one) can't stand DIR people. It started with George I (yes, I know his lack of affiliation) And, it probably doesn't help that I'm a Dive-Rite dealer and Halcyon is our competition.

My point was this...
Would the class make me a better diver. Would it teach me better trim, better buoyancy, better gear configuration. If you don't know anything about the class, or don't know anyone who has taken the class, then it's really simple. Shut up.

So let me get this straight. You and your friends cant stand DIR people (which i assume includes me) BUT you want to learn how to look as good as they do in the water. Dont you think maybe you should re evaluate your prejudices just a tad?

The answer to your question is that YES it will make you a better diver (Assuming you dont already have the skills you refer to in another thread, which after reading your previous thread gives me comfort to make such an assumption), but you really need to have a less hateful attitude if you really want it to pay off. Challenging the instructor with meaningful questions will advance your learning; challenging your instructor just because its "cool" in your circles to challenge every little DIR detail will just make the experience miserable.

Also, getting into pissing matches about how many hours youve spent underwater with a very knowledgeable/helpful diver (even if he is much younger than you) doesnt seem very genuine coming from someone wanting to look like fundies class divers. Practice doesnt make perfect; practice just makes permanent. Hours and numbers alone mean nothing.

Go ahead an bash me now too just because i have only a few dives. It wont help your cause here much and wont, in itself, make your diving better at all...but maybe it will make you feel more manly(womanly).

FWIW I do applaud your desire to be a better diver. It's something i continuously strive for.

I never said I couldn't stand DIR people. Got great respect for the few I've met. I try not to let people surrounding me dictate how I feel based on how they feel. You said nothing worthy of bashing.

*edit, re-reading my post, i'm sure how it could appear that way, since after-all, I am in my camp. But, I got mostly no ill will toward the DIR people. Unfortunately, and it's even been brought up in the DIR forum on how to counter this thought, DIR has made a bad name for itself in that the few vocal idiots are the ones giving multiple bad first impressions to people like me who have been sheltered from DIR people. Was that confusing?

We run in our own circles. That circle says, "man, those X people, what a bunch of bastards, blah blah blah", and we've got nothing but our circle to rely on for the truth. Then one day, we run into someone from X. and guess what, he/she is quite the bastard. Well, then it just reinforces what we've been spoonfed for years.

Recently, I was around GROUP X, not all of them are bad, and their skills can't be denied. How easy is it to change your circle? Not very easy right? But, that's what I'm working on. Bear with me, i'm human, and a substandard one at that.

I never said I couldn't stand DIR people. Got great respect for the few I've met. I try not to let people surrounding me dictate how I feel based on how they feel. You said nothing worthy of bashing.

good. more people should take that attitude. bite the bullet and sign up for a fundamentals class. I'm sure you will get a ton out of it. it's a fantastic class

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom