Ic-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doohboy24

Reaction score
Recently purchase the IC-10 Camera. I have never used an underwater camera. I recently went to key largo for some dives and all the pictures are very blue. Went to a professional camera shop in miami and bought a uw filter and it lightened it some but still very blue. Had others look at camera to try to help with setting and we tried incad setting with the filter and still very blue. All the dives we did were at about 30' or so. Can someone give some pointers here? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Hi Chuck,
Below is the reason you are losing your warm colors making your pictures blue/green as well as the number one best way to bring them back without the need of other equipment, “Manual White Balancing.” Other great tips are also available on our web page Intova underwater cameras, waterproof MP3 players, and underwater torches
COLOR LOSS: Color Loss is tied to absorption. When water turns light into heat it absorbs the lowest energy levels first. This means that Reds, Oranges and Yellows are absorbed before Greens and Blues. This why many underwater photos appear greenish blue. It is important to remember that color loss is affected by total water distance light passes through. This means both depth from the surface AND distance between camera and subject. The greater the TOTAL distance, the greater color loss. Use of a red color correction filter can help bring some of the warm colors back to your photos. An external strobe will also correct for color loss. Note: do not use both a red filter and strobe together as this will cause your photos to become too red/orange.
WHITE BALANCE: The single most important feature to understand for great underwater photography is White Balance. Adjusting the white balance allows the camera to compensate for water and light conditions. For cameras with Manual White Balance, you should reset every 10 feet of depth. For cameras that do not allow manual white balance, setting White Balance to fluorescent may help. Fluorescent is blue light similar to underwater and the camera will adjust for this. Setting White Balance to low light can also improve results.

Hi Chuck: I started with Intova 35mm, graduated to the IC5, IC10 and now IC12. On my website I address this issue and have some free lessons on dealing with this issue. It is not an Intova problem, it is a normal, every camera issue. Check out my classroom link at scuba
Let me know how you like it.
Dr Mark

hi chuck i use an intova IC-10 and Intova strobe and get really good colour in all of my photos, guess the one thing i have learnt is practice makes perfect and this type of photography you have to practice. you can view my photos to see what sort of colour i get. A couple of setttings i use are EV setting is set @ -1 but remember i do use a strobe hence why this setting is there seems to help, have also started using a wide angel lense makes a huge difference as well.

Hi Shayne:
Just a note letting you know I enjoyed your photos. Thanks for sharing.
Dr Mark 920

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom