Ice diver dead - Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Video at Scuba diver dies after being pulled from lake | CBS 58 | Local News
DELAFIELD---A scuba diver has died after he was trapped underwater in Nagawicka Lake for several minutes.
It happened just after 10:00 a.m Saturday morning. Police and fire crews responded to a call for a scuba diver under water and in distress.
By the time officers arrived the man had already been found by other divers and pulled from the water. The other divers attempted to do CPR on the man.
Fire department personnel transported the diver to an area hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The diver’s family has been notified and he has been identified as 32-year-old Steven G LaLonde.
LaLonde and the other divers with him are all experienced divers. Investigation into the incident is ongoing, however initial indications point to a possible equipment issue.

There were no details about the failure, but it was mentioned on cavediver.net that Steve was an accomplished cave diver.

A very accomplished cave diver. I had yet to meet him but friends did. Sorry to those left behind and a great lost to the community. Would like to known what happened.RIP

I dove with him a few times and knew him only a little. Really good man and excellent diver. He did cave diving regularly. Really good at it too.

I had not heard this until combing this thread today. I met him at a dive club meeting but only briefly. RIP. A sad loss to the diving and WI communities.

Hi All! Do any of you know more about how this occurred? All of the WI articles mentioned likely equipment failure. I've been out to that cavediver.net site and the only main article out there is in one of the private forums. I know oftentimes these things are closeholded, but I thought I'd see if any of you knew. The reason I ask is that my husband is interested in getting ice diver certified either this year or next (I don't get you guys at all). I know he's purchased his regs specifically to handle cold water but I'd be curious. Thanks!

Cavediver.net links to the attached article.

http://fox6now.com/2013/01/19/scuba-...red-dangerous/

Beyond this, its mostly a discussion of the differences between cave diving techniques and those employed in ice diving.

With respect to your husband wanting to go ice diving, all diving has its risks. You want to find an instructor that is able to teach you how to mitigate these risks as best you can. I did some ice diving in Illinois about two years ago. If the opportunity presents itself again I would do it again. I also consider myself to be a low risk appetite diver.

Details are known to a few but his close friends and family still grieving and I'm sure his close dive buddy who frequents here will say more when he's ready.

Ya I don't have enough good to say about Steve. My brother is his close dive buddy and they are all hurting right now. I don't know enough of the details, nor do I feel it my place to share them. I was lucky enough to get a few certs through him. He was the smartest, most technical diver I've ever met. Being completely honest, this has made me rethink doing my ice certs this year.

I'm sure my brother or others will be here to share more when the time is right.

RIP Steve!!

I barely knew Steve but he seemed like a great guy. We dove Jug Hole together in Oct and he was a very skilled diver.

I know family and friends are hurting right now and I respect that and offer my condolences. I do hope at some point we can learn more details of what exactly happened. I do not wish to pick apart any mistakes made that day but to know what could be done to prevent this. Accident Analysis is very important through every loss we can learn something.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom