Ice Diving Lake Tahoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtybit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It is my first winter in the bay area and I spend most weekends up in Tahoe. I was wondering whether anyone has done an ice diving specialty course in Tahoe and if I could get a recommendation on a dive shop in the bay area that offers the course.

Thanks!

Tahoe doesn't freeze over...There are other lakes around that do freeze over.

Ice diving is right there with wreck and cave diving, since it is an overhead environment. I would recommend extensive training. Plus your regs better be up to the task.

There are some people dive Tahoe year long... but of course that means drysuits... oh and maybe a snowshovel :)

SnowShovel.jpg

Seems like there are a few dive shops both in Reno and Santa Cruz that advertise the ice diving specialty at Tahoe so I would imagine part of the lake are frozen later in the winter. I am well aware of the dangers and the equipment requirements. I am primarily just looking for a dive shop in the bay area (preferably peninsula) that offers this specialty.

Thanks for the replies.

as other pointed out Lake Tahoe does not freeze, the winter diving is pretty fun unique experience, but still it's not ice diving

There are few lakes in Tahoe area which freeze, but I don't think anybody does ice diving there. I asked back in July owners of Strictly Scuba in Carson City the same question, they don't do ice diving, you can try Sierra Diving Center in Reno, but I think you will get the same answer. Both shops are btw excellent shops with great customer service.

I would like to point out that Lake Tahoe is not only cold water diving (really cold during winter), but also high altitude diving. Both of these bring serious risks if you are just average OW diver. If you never dove in very cold water and high altitude, then I highly recommend to take classes and/or guided dives there before you start thinking about ice diving.

779700393_LJwoz-M.jpg

779699742_V952T-M.jpg

779705974_2EEAE-M.jpg

Great photos, farty! I can almost see my breath (damn it looks cold)!

It was "a bit" colder than Monterey, but a lot of fun. Planning to go up there soon, anybody interested?

What is really the most interesting on winter Tahoe diving is the before and after dive intervals. It's kinda hard to describe it, but it was almost magical to stand by the beautiful lake with nobody around, cold breeze and complete silence.

and yes it's so cold that you can actually grab a sleeping fish

779704062_QGyex-M.jpg

Lake Tahoe does not freeze.

The closest lake we've ice dove under is Boca Reservoir. This does freeze, but usually ends up with enough pack snow over the hard ice that it is a PITA to cut the hole.

With the recent snowfall, there are very few places to access Lake Tahoe right now, with all the snow piled up at the shoreline. Sand Harbor and Meeks Bay are about it for easy access diving. Last week water was 40 degrees.

All the best, James

OK guys its on!., who is up for tahoe divin next week?

Andrew, you wanna go up there again in this weather! :) If I had a dry suit Id be all in with you guys but I dont think I could handle it in a wetsuit.

Just so you guys know the dive shops are diving up there on new years day. It would be a good time to meet them and be shown around by the people that work up there year round.

Don't know of much ice specialty stuff around here but I am sure the dive shops would have a good recomendation.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom