Ice Diving Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gitterdun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since there were some questions as to why some of us spend our winters underneath hard water, I figured I would post some of the pictures I've taken, to give a bit of an idea of one of the reasons we do it. We are very lucky to have this quarry so close to us, and it is incredible to have such a great training ground. During the winter months, the visibility is absolutely stunning. It's not quite the same during the summer. It has different shelves at different depths, with a few things to see. There is a hole where you can get 125', but most of the deepest parts are at about 110'.

The quarry...

DSC03701.jpg

DSC_5969-1.jpg

DSC_6075-1.jpg

DSC_6225-1.jpg

DSC_6251-2.jpg

DSC_6260-2-1.jpg

Awesome pics!

Great pics. I think I will stick to my warmer water caves tho.

In this pic, it looks like there are arrows -->---> in the surface of the ice. Are these intentional markers of some sort, or just optical illusions?

In this pic, it looks like there are arrows -->---> in the surface of the ice. Are these intentional markers of some sort, or just optical illusions?

Some of the other ice divers/classes draw these on the surface in the snow as markers to their opening. I know they aren't all cutting their openings at the beach like Chan's group is doing.

E.g. You can see an old frozen over hole in the first pic

Yessir, Richard is on the money. There are many tethered ice diving courses run there, and they usually shovel out the arrows in the above snow, marking their exit.

I did this one a while back...:)

DSC_4113.jpg

We cut our holes in about 2' - 3' of water, and run a continuous line out to or just past the plane. We had a permanent line running from the plane to the boat at one time, that we would tie into, but it disappeared.

wow that looks nice, too bad we don't have anything like that down here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom