• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Ice diving thread (who is doing it?)

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba Discussions' started by CAPTAIN SINBAD, Nov 8, 2019.

1. CAPTAIN SINBAD

CAPTAIN SINBAD Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I wanted to start an ice diving thread so that anyone who is putting a group together should put their details up here. Where? When? Who? What exactly are you diving?

The winter is coming! And you now what is coming with it ...

2. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    @Lake Hickory Scuba does a good bit of it every winter, he just posted a youtube video about a potential new ice diving site in NC as well

3. Diver-Drex

Diver-Drex Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Upstate NY, most likely on the St Lawrence. We should be doing an ice cert class in January or February.

4. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I applaud you folks who have the fortitude to ice dive. I think you're nucking futs, but I salute your adventurous spirit. :)

5. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    we did one every year for the last 6 years

ajtoady, shoredivr and CAPTAIN SINBAD like this.
  6. Angelo Farina

Angelo Farina Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I was doing it when young. This photo was my first dive under the ice, it was march 1976, I was 17 years old, just certified with a Cmas **, using a wet suit, dual bottle, an Aquilon regulator and no BCD. Sorry for it being small and low quality...
    foto2.JPG
    The site was Lago Santo, in the mountains above Parma, Italy. Approximately 1500 meters altitude, ice thickness was 110cm. It did take one whole day of work cutting the hole...

7. tmassey

tmassey Barracuda

I will pull together at least one, and hopefully a couple here in Metro Detroit. If you’re interested, PM me and we will stay in touch — you can help pick the location!

8. bletso

bletso Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    Dry suit, dry gloves and a rebreather make for a not so bad ice dive. I was amazed at the quiet under the ice. It was surreal. We used to do them at a local quarry when it got cold enough to freeze over. For those that don't know is that it may be easy to break even 1in (25mm) ice from above, you won't from below. Keep in mind it is an overhead environment and all safety rules obeyed.

9. Diver-Drex

Diver-Drex Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Great point on ice being an overhead. Seems obvious but so do a lot of things that get people into trouble.

I’ve used a back mounted single with a sling Al40. I am considering independent back mounted doubles. I dive SM, so the gas management is no different and for me independent = redundant.

For those that ice dive, what do you and other locals in your area dive?

10. CAPTAIN SINBAD

CAPTAIN SINBAD Divemaster Candidate

How about this time?